Eye Problems - GP states that I am fine to drive and no need to inform police

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
tonyshooter
Home club or Range: Warmsworth nr Doncaster

Eye Problems - GP states that I am fine to drive and no need to inform police

#1 Post by tonyshooter »

I have had occasion, via an opticians referral, to visit my GP in respect of an eye health problem, ( not a vision problem ).

All is fine but the GP told me that as my vision was unaffected there was no need to inform the DVLA or the police ( as I was a SGC / FAC holder ).

This is the first time I have heard of this, however, I do understand the GP's standpoint.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Eye Problems - GP states that I am fine to drive and no need to inform police

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

Maybe just include it on your next renewal.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Eye Problems - GP states that I am fine to drive and no need to inform police

#3 Post by Christel »

I am a tad confused here...

There is nothing wrong, the GP says there is nothing wrong, no need to inform anyone.

So why bring this up at renewal?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

does it impact your abilty to own firearms, or put you at risk when traveling with them? if no, no need to inform anyone
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#5 Post by Mauserbill »

Pippin89 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:26 am Maybe just include it on your next renewal.
Hello
WHY is it on the list of reportable illness ????? creating problems just for the sake of it.....
Polchraine

#6 Post by Polchraine »

It does not affect your ability to own/use firearms, and as the GP knows you have an FAC/SGC he may have been confirming to you that you do not ned to inform the local force and he will not when it comes to renewal.

From the Met Police:

Relevant medical conditions which must be disclosed are:

acute stress reaction or an acute reaction to the stress caused by a trauma, including post-traumatic stress disorder
suicidal thoughts or self harm, or harm to others
depression or anxiety
dementia
mania, bipolar disorder, or a psychotic illness
a personality disorder
a neurological condition: for example, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s or Huntington’s diseases, or epilepsy
alcohol or drug abuse
any other mental or physical condition, or combination of conditions, which you think may be relevant

If in doubt, consult your GP or contact the police firearms licensing department.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
rox

#7 Post by rox »

tonyshooter wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:49 pmI do understand the GP's standpoint.
What would vision have to do with the Police? I don't understand the GP's standpoint at all; can you explain what you mean?

Surely GP involvement when it comes to firearms licensing is solely to report on mental health issues, not to asses whether you might be Olympic material or Paralympic SH-VI Visual Impairment category or otherwise.
Does (s)he need reminding what their duties are in this respect?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

rox wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:13 am
tonyshooter wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:49 pmI do understand the GP's standpoint.
What would vision have to do with the Police? I don't understand the GP's standpoint at all; can you explain what you mean?

Surely GP involvement when it comes to firearms licensing is solely to report on mental health issues, not to asses whether you might be Olympic material or Paralympic SH-VI Visual Impairment category or otherwise.
Does (s)he need reminding what their duties are in this respect?
GP is saying they DON'T have to report it, so I think the GP agrees with you
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#9 Post by Pippin89 »

Mauserbill wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:36 am
Pippin89 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:26 am Maybe just include it on your next renewal.
Hello
WHY is it on the list of reportable illness ????? creating problems just for the sake of it.....
I have 2 medical conditions that are not on the list of reportable illnesses. When I submitted my application I asked the FELU if I should list them and they said "Yes, list everything".
Its better that its there and not a factor than not be there and the FEO thinks you're trying to hide something. As it happened they weren't even mentioned in my interview and certs were issued without any problems.
Christel wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:00 am I am a tad confused here...

There is nothing wrong, the GP says there is nothing wrong, no need to inform anyone.

So why bring this up at renewal?
I took the OP's post to mean that there is a problem with his/her eyes but it does not affect vision, rather than there being no problem at all.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#10 Post by Triffid »

I think Pippin is right.
I had an auto-immune disease in 2010. I didn't even think to inform the Police nor to include it on my FAC renewals in 2011 or 2016, nor evidently did my GP who would have done the medical reference. As far as I was concerned it wasn't on the list of reportable conditions.
However for my 2021 renewal I had to use a private company for the medical reference. They noted the condition from my medical records and included it in my reference.
It wasn't a problem, but my FEO gently criticised me for not previously reporting it. He thought it was a 'neurological condition'.

Triffid