Targets for iron sights

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
RJ156

Targets for iron sights

#1 Post by RJ156 »

Something I never thought would be a problem, but I’m really struggling with targets at 100yds when using iron sights

Seeing, not so much. But focusing seems to be a problem.

Tried the 8” black splatter rounds, A3 orange and red bulls.

Mixed results with the 8”, but keeping in any reasonable focus is impossible.

Am I expecting too much? Or is my sight failing me? Heard mixed info about focusing at 3 things at once

Thought it would be good to ask here
Mike 01
Home club or Range: Bisley

Re: Targets for iron sights

#2 Post by Mike 01 »

Are you focusing on the front sight (as opposed to the target)?

(i.e. the right thing to do is to focus on the front sight, in preference to the target)
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Mike 01 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:25 pm (i.e. the right thing to do is to focus on the front sight, in preference to the target)
As he said you should be focusing on the front sight you wont get any were trying to get all three in focus. Might be worth getting a eye test to see if there has been any change in your vision.
RJ156

#4 Post by RJ156 »

Thanks for replies so far, I have tried to focus on front sight. But the target just becomes so blurred I can’t tell where on the target I’m aiming. Will try again with more effort

Gonna give eye test a go also, as I’m pretty sure I’ve noticed a change in vision recently.
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#5 Post by Peter Leigh »

But the target just becomes so blurred I can’t tell where on the target I’m aiming

As a target shooter you can only sharply focus on one distance at a time ,and as you get older 70yr in my case it takes longer for your focus to adjust,but you can still get excellent results if your technique is correct, So this is what I was taught years ago by one of the elite shooters
,,,your going to check first 'foresight'..'frontsight' then 'target'. repeat foresight, frontsight, target. Now if you have not moved anything it should appear nothing has moved , repeat again missing out foresight ...just check front sight and target . repeat once again front sight, target. finally focus on frontsight only ...shoot.
Notice if anything is not lined up completly correct the whole process is repeated again.
This took me years to master but damm you get good results. My shooting glasses have a focal point on the frontsight only. so my targets are always slightly blurred.
rox

#6 Post by rox »

Peter Leigh wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:47 am ,,,your going to check first 'foresight'..'frontsight' then 'target'. repeat foresight, frontsight, target.
What is a 'frontsight', and how does it differ from a 'foresight'?
Graham M

#7 Post by Graham M »

Is this iron sights or aperture sites?
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RJ156

#8 Post by RJ156 »

Graham M wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:39 am Is this iron sights or aperture sites?
Irons. I shoot a m91/30 and a k31. So V notch and post / blade.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Have you tried a tin hat style target.

They usually give sufficient contrast to the fore sight through the blurred target image.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RJ156

#10 Post by RJ156 »

I have not tried one, just actually had to Google what one was. But I have seen them before.

Might be worth a try printing some.
Any colours better than others or is it personal preference?

Also what size would you shoot at 100yds