Ammunition allowances guidelines

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
shotgun sam

Ammunition allowances guidelines

#1 Post by shotgun sam »

Is there a recommended allocation for ammunition that a person can reasonably ask the licencing department for? The likes of target shooting and live quarry shooting.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Chapuis

Re: Ammunition allowances guidelines

#2 Post by Chapuis »

Yes there is in the guidance document. Be aware though that there are several major errors in this latest edition of the guidance and some of the shooting organisations have already pointed this out to the Home Office.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... __002_.pdf
Graham M

#3 Post by Graham M »

I have 6000rds and Staff's/West Mid's seem happy enough with that. However a friend at the same club has had difficulties with his allowance.
Sometimes it's down to attitude. I have always welcomed my FEO into the house whilst my friend has adopted a more officious manner.
A bit of ritual grovelling never hurts. :run:
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Chapuis

#4 Post by Chapuis »

My ammunition allowances have always been quite generous. At one time I could hold a total of 12,000 rounds of various chamberings. I now shoot much less and my FAC is due for renewal shortly. I wouldn't be surprised or even disappointed if they reduce my allowance down to the figures quoted in the guidance as it would be sufficient for my present day needs.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

I've always found 400 rounds has always been fine with TVP as a starter for a new calibre with no raised eyebrows.
Increase as necessary.
The exception being .22 as they're used to people getting through it at a rate of knots.
I started off with 1000 which is enough for my needs - I could easily raise that to 5000 without complaints if I wanted.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Initially you'll get an agreed allowance that you've negotiated with the FEO.
If you are using (ie buying) loads more it is reasonable to ask for an increased limit. This shows the good reason for the increase.

Reloading lacks the convenient entry in Table2 of the FAC, so proving usage could be an issue but keeping a log of use as evidence is a good idea to help with any increase limit request. But the argument with reloading is as long as you have enough to cover the next competition and some practice/zero sessions you can always reload more as needed.

Just be aware the limits mentioned in the Guidance are not absolutes, and it is even mentioned that the stated limits are for guidance and could vary up or down. Some FEO/Departments conveniently ignore or forget this last part of the Guidance.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
nCognitos

#7 Post by nCognitos »

TVP seemed happy with 600 rounds per centrefire. They wanted to give me 1,100 rounds of .22 but I had shooting logs showing I was going through about 2,000 rounds in 4 months, so they increased it to 2,000.

It's negotiation with your FEO, if you have a good reason for a sensible amount, you will get it