firearm certificate

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
winchester

firearm certificate

#1 Post by winchester »

I am about to get my firearm cert for my .22, but am unsure about where to store the cert' should it be in the locked gun cabinet or stored seperatly? Thanks in anticipation. DW
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: firearm certificate

#2 Post by dromia »

Moved to the correct forum.

Be aware mis-posts are usually removed.

Read and understand the forum rules.

If unsure then ask.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

I keep mine in the car, that way if I get stopped by the police or if I'm out and about and need to by ammo or components it's immediately to hand.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

I can’t find mine most days…

Personally, I don’t take my certificates outside of the home unless I’m buying ammunition, their components or going to look at or buy a new gun. It’s about being sensible rather than paranoid.

If lost, you’ve given an instant list and location as to where some guns are. The risk is still very, very small, but you negate that by keeping it indoors.

If you have guns and/or ammunition and components and you are out and about, carry ID. Preferably with your address on it, so really, your driving licence. The police can do instant checks if you’re a certificate holder or not. Easy-peasy.

If you’re engaged in criminal conduct in possession of guns or ammo, not having your certificate will be the least of your worries…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#5 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I take B/W copies of my FAC each time I send it for variation knowing FEOs can and do make mistakes has helped me with problems on a couple of occasions also the copies come in very handy for sales and transfer records, I keep a B/W copy over printed with COPY and in single sheet form in my shooting box just in case I am officially asked for it this should keep them happy untill the original can be shown if required to do so. Sorry but I don`t consider it a safe practise to keep a FAC in the car "My opion only"
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

A Gloucestershire rural crime police officer suggested that rather than carry your FAC with you when out and about it would be a good idea to carry photographs of your certificates on your phone. Obviously you can't use that to purchase ammunition but it should be sufficient to satisfy a police officer if asked to produce evidence that you hold a certificate.
walesdave

#7 Post by walesdave »

winchester wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:17 am I am about to get my firearm cert for my .22, but am unsure about where to store the cert' should it be in the locked gun cabinet or stored seperatly? Thanks in anticipation. DW
There's no rules about where you store your FAC, keep it where best suits you.

Mine floats between my desk drawer and the cars glove box - no rhyme or reason, just where it happens to end up.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#8 Post by channel12 »

Mine is in the bottom of my range bag, which has a certain logic about it. If I'm going to the range with my guns my range bag comes along as well.

Picking on mauserbill's point I always make and keep a copy of my FAC and copy every renewal application for reference. It helps to keep what you put on the renewal consistent with the previous one.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#9 Post by bradaz11 »

no idea. I find it when I need it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Its in a drawer some were along with the Club certificate and the Home Office approval and NRA affiliation stuff. Oh and not forgetting the club Insurance. The same place my certificate has been kept for over 30 years and the Club stuff for at least 5 years.