Surrey Firearms Licensing Team

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Surrey Firearms Licensing Team

#21 Post by hitchphil »

Chapuis wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:35 am
hitchphil wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm NRA, CPSA & NSRA members get 10% off MedCert.

Also the NGO and BASC and possibly BDS too but I'm not sure on that one.
Yes BASC have their own scheme & guess others might too, i only know those for sure. - to me using them achieves 2 things - taking the payments out of GPs that are cashing in vs a few that are shooters providing a service to shooters, & reducing the whole mess to ticking a box / reading a record. vs it being a medical interview a GP assessment of suitability etc.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#22 Post by Pippin89 »

Blackstuff wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:09 am They issue a S7 permit WHEN they miss the 8 week runover period. I know 2 people that sat on their hands when their renewal info was sent to them and they didn't get it in until less than 8 weeks before the renewal date and they were both informed they're going to have to get their guns into storage as they just didn't have the capacity to issue S7s to them. Their own stupid fault of course but I think you'll have to be very fortunate indeed to get one if you don't get your paperwork in early.
Speaking to my FEO the other day she had loads of people who haven't got it done in time... You would think people who have FAC's / SGC's would be a bit more proactive about keeping their guns....
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Blackstuff »

Pippin89 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:53 am
Blackstuff wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:09 am They issue a S7 permit WHEN they miss the 8 week runover period. I know 2 people that sat on their hands when their renewal info was sent to them and they didn't get it in until less than 8 weeks before the renewal date and they were both informed they're going to have to get their guns into storage as they just didn't have the capacity to issue S7s to them. Their own stupid fault of course but I think you'll have to be very fortunate indeed to get one if you don't get your paperwork in early.
Speaking to my FEO the other day she had loads of people who haven't got it done in time... You would think people who have FAC's / SGC's would be a bit more proactive about keeping their guns....
I'm sure one of the lads that did it was because he's a fair weather shooter and it was an excuse not to come out to play over the winter 8-) lol
DVC
jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#24 Post by jmc67 »

I can see how people might run late. My doctor took over 5 weeks to sign a piece of paper saying 'no issues', and that was with regular hassling. Thankfully, I started the process before I got my renewal letter from Surrey police so i was a couple of weeks ahead of the game. If I hadn't and the doctor had taken another few weeks, it would have got very close to 8 weeks before renewal was up.
Pippin89

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

jmc67 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:20 am I can see how people might run late. My doctor took over 5 weeks to sign a piece of paper saying 'no issues', and that was with regular hassling. Thankfully, I started the process before I got my renewal letter from Surrey police so i was a couple of weeks ahead of the game. If I hadn't and the doctor had taken another few weeks, it would have got very close to 8 weeks before renewal was up.
Careful you don't get too far ahead of the game. If the doctor signs it too early then it will be rejected as "out-of-date"
Mattnall
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#26 Post by Mattnall »

Pippin89 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:24 am Careful you don't get too far ahead of the game. If the doctor signs it too early then it will be rejected as "out-of-date"
Not sure how long it will be valid for if submitted before an application but if accepted my firearms department have said it will be valid until the FAC expires, they should be informed about any changes anyway, the whole point of the marker as I understand it. About 10 months after the last renewal my RFD and a club FAC came up for renewal and but didn't need a doctor's note as the personal FAC renewal one still counted.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
jmc67
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#27 Post by jmc67 »

Pippin89 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:24 am
jmc67 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:20 am I can see how people might run late. My doctor took over 5 weeks to sign a piece of paper saying 'no issues', and that was with regular hassling. Thankfully, I started the process before I got my renewal letter from Surrey police so i was a couple of weeks ahead of the game. If I hadn't and the doctor had taken another few weeks, it would have got very close to 8 weeks before renewal was up.
Careful you don't get too far ahead of the game. If the doctor signs it too early then it will be rejected as "out-of-date"
Absolutely. I was only a couple of weeks ahead of the letter, but I am glad I was now given how long it took to get the letter signed.
Pippin89

#28 Post by Pippin89 »

Mattnall wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:50 am
Pippin89 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:24 am Careful you don't get too far ahead of the game. If the doctor signs it too early then it will be rejected as "out-of-date"
Not sure how long it will be valid for if submitted before an application but if accepted my firearms department have said it will be valid until the FAC expires, they should be informed about any changes anyway, the whole point of the marker as I understand it. About 10 months after the last renewal my RFD and a club FAC came up for renewal and but didn't need a doctor's note as the personal FAC renewal one still counted.
Sussex apparently will throw it out if its dated more than 6 months before the renewal date.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#29 Post by Triffid »

I guess that is one advantage of using an external provider like Medcert/ShootCert etc. They know the system and are used to getting medical records from GP's. So you get a better turnaround time.
Triffid
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#30 Post by Pete »

OK, so how about some meaningful reviews of these services? Anyone had any problems with them?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....