Guns being confiscated in Devon and Cornwall ?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Guns being confiscated in Devon and Cornwall ?

#1 Post by 1066 »

Anyone know anything about this - seems 90% twaddle to me.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/15143 ... s-shooting
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Guns being confiscated in Devon and Cornwall ?

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

My brother in law is a police officer in Wales and he told me recently about having to confiscate guns from 2 neighbours after a dispute. I asked him if he was seeing more strict response to these things after the Plymouth shooting and he said absolutely yes. 40 a day definitely seems extreme though....

What is absolute twaddle is the line "officers from armed response units - the only department who can confiscate a weapon - take the gun away".
This is wrong. All police officers have the authority to confiscate a firearm. They must leave it until a qualified person "makes safe" but that doesn't have to be armed response units. Any police officer can have that qualification. In fact the brother in law said he has been involved in an incident when a PCSO was assigned to "make safe". Once that has been done, any officer can take the gun away.
Chapuis

#3 Post by Chapuis »

1066 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:22 pm Anyone know anything about this - seems 90% twaddle to me.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/15143 ... s-shooting
Possibly a certain amount of truth in the report but I agree an awful lot of twaddle typical of so many alarmist newspaper reports.
condorman
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers Rifle Club,Ranges Paracombe-north devon & Millpool(MOD) bodmin moor cornwall

#4 Post by condorman »

The local paper ( Herald )has reported that only 8 FACS have been pulled in the Devon & Cornwall area since the review - looks like a case of exaggerating by the press Again!