FAC in Lincolnshire

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Swallowtail
Home club or Range: North Cotes

FAC in Lincolnshire

#1 Post by Swallowtail »

During the home visit which Lincs Police did a while ago, a nice chap said that once you have your licence we expect that all the granted slots must be filled within 6 months of issue; that failure to do this will result in any empty slots being taken away from you as you have not shown 'good reason' for having them as they are not filled. Given that they had allowed all of my wish list, that was going to be an expensive issue in such a short time. I was wondering if anyone else had suffered this rather draconian statement and likewise the consequences. Speaking to friends in other counties it seems that they are somewhat more relaxed and understanding.
Not wishing to open a Pandora's box of barrack room lawyers, has anyone successfully argued against such 'control'? It appears that each county has free reign to do as they wish?
Christel
Site Admin

Re: FAC in Lincolnshire

#2 Post by Christel »

Welcome to Lincolnshire as they say :)

It is a certificate, not a license.

When you go to renew, all the slots will be looked at and if you do not use a gun much, you will be asked "do you need it". Hence keeping track of ammo use and visits to your club.
If you ask for a slot then you must have a reason, hence the 6 months.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Makey up rules.

It is a certificate not a licence.

There is nothing in the legislation that says that.

The certificate is for five years

That is a totally unreasonable condition, supposing that you are a collector looking for a specific and rare type that may only come up once on a decade. I have slots on my certificate that have been unfilled for 15 years as the right firearm has not come along.

Then there are the financial realities of funding such purchases in such a tight time stricture.

Sounds like you have got another anti gun a/hole who is just making it up because he doesn't like guns or gun owners.

If he didn't give it to you in writing then it didn't happen!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Christel wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:57 pm
If you ask for a slot then you must have a reason, hence the 6 months.
Please explain that Christel.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Christel
Site Admin

#5 Post by Christel »

Easy enough to explain, this is Lincolnshire and that is the way it is. If the slot is not used then it goes.
Swallowtail

#6 Post by Swallowtail »

I accept that after 5 years and at renewal questions might be asked, but given what the country has been going through in the last 18months rather makes a mockery of it all. It wasn't renewal either, it was a 1:1 variation, swap an unused moderator slot for a .44 BPR. Which was allowed but at the same time took away all open slots as well, which rather stops further purchases as and when I see anything I fancy.
dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

If it was me I would challenge it to the manager first on the grounds of unreasonableness based on nothing in the guidance.

No joy there then work your way up the food chain.

If we had an anyways half decent National shooting body then I would recommend joining but seeing what we have is not fit for any usuefull purpose then us shooters are on our own when it comes to holding up our end.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

A friendly chat with your FEO normally solves most things, even in Lincolnshire.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Swallowtail wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:45 pm I accept that after 5 years and at renewal questions might be asked, but given what the country has been going through in the last 18months rather makes a mockery of it all. It wasn't renewal either, it was a 1:1 variation, swap an unused moderator slot for a .44 BPR. Which was allowed but at the same time took away all open slots as well, which rather stops further purchases as and when I see anything I fancy.
You had a home visit for a 1:1? That does seem a tad unusual.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Swallowtail

#10 Post by Swallowtail »

No, the home visit was the usual one before grant. That was ages ago, the variation was via the portal and emails. I also had a 5min visit for A&K explosives.
As for friendly chat with FEO, I have been told officially that the 6 month thingy comes as a mandate from the very top...