Doctor certification for FAC

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Doctor certification for FAC

#11 Post by bradaz11 »

Polchraine wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:54 am
Maybe the way through the GP questionaire issueis for each force to employ a "doctor" or someone with the right training to review each applicants medical notes. I can request my GP to share my notes with another registered professional and that will take all of 5 minutes. It then removes the responsibilities from the GP of saying yes/no to someones suitability and passes it to a trained individual who will immediately know from what they see and everyone will be treated equally.
yeah brilliant idea until that force area want to reduce numbers or applicants and suddenly the doctor is finding fault with everything

have you seen an article today that mentions random drug and alcohol testing is being proposed in new rewrite for the police guidance. where does it say we as shooters now have to be t-total? if the cabinet is locked, why can I not get p*** up? as long as I am in control of them when using them, what is the issue? It's not like they demand anyone that drives that they cannot ever drink. hell the limit even allows you to have some alcohol in your body and drive.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#12 Post by GeeRam »

Polchraine wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:54 am I am in the Met Police area and there was no mention of a doctors report on my last renewal. I wonder if they take a pragmatic view.
I used to be Met area, and they still operate the as per guidance route and don't pre-ask for the form to be filled out and sent in.

I'm now out in TVP and they operate the same way as the other Home Counties forces that encircle the Met (Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, TVP, Herts) who all now all insist on a filled in form from GP, with the statement of no form filled, no cert issued for grant or renewal.

There was suspicion that it would be likely that would become the norm for all within a few years, and I suspect after the events at Plymouth, that might end up being a lot sooner.
capper

#13 Post by capper »

It’s amazing the differences with licensing depending where you live, prices vary as well, I’ve no doubt they will rise or more Gp’s refusing to give a letter, either way whatever the future holds, it won’t be making grants & renewals any easier or quicker for us. Some forces seem to be handling the whole process better than others.
SevenSixTwo

#14 Post by SevenSixTwo »

It's interesting to see the amount of GPs who are also qualified psychiatrists...
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

As I have posted elsewhere I have recently renewed my FAC and been granted my first shot gun certificate. I was not asked to provide a Doctors certificate. My licencing enquiry officer rang me two days after I submitted my application to confirm I wanted a shot gun certificate because I had not asked for one before. His comments were OK that.s fine. I will be contacting your GP and once they reply we will issue your certificates. The whole thing if I remember rightly took no more than two weeks. What I have noticed is when I go online to order repeat prescriptions (I am old) there is now a red flag on my medical record that was not there before.
Having said that being a Club Secretary and having a certificate for probably over 30 years and dealing with them on a regular basis may have smoothed things a little bit.

I find it staggering when I read posts on the forum about the differences in how different forces are dealing with applications for certificates.
Polchraine

#16 Post by Polchraine »

Alpha1 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:33 pm ... What I have noticed is when I go online to order repeat prescriptions (I am old) there is now a red flag on my medical record that was not there before.
Which online portal do you use? And where is the "Red Flag"?

I use PatientAccess and nothing seems to be on mine at present. But then, I have never been asked for a GPs letter or form although I do supply the GP information.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#17 Post by phaedra1106 »

On my Patient Access it's under , Medical Records, Problems

It's not a "red flag" just a marker, not that I agree with it being there in the first place as I don't have a specific GP at our surgery and have only seen any one of them maybe twice in the last 9 years.
Nor are they in any way qualified to provide any sort of insight into my mental health, the last GP I mentioned it to agreed and said he just writes back that he's not qualified to give such an opinion.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

It is on my patient access medical records. Its a round red disc there is also another red disc with the number 2 in it. I am guessing that is the amount of times they have been asked for copies. The red discs were not there before I applied to renew.
Its all a bit of a farce as I can not remember the last time I actually saw a doctor. I attend a well man clinic but that is run by a practice nurse.
shotgun sam

#19 Post by shotgun sam »

Is the doctors letter a one off as a marker is put on your records or will the police demand another letter at next renewal.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

I believe you have to do it for each renewal.