Shooting range death prompts calls for staff to be trained

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Shooting range death prompts calls for staff to be train

#21 Post by bradaz11 »

Thorney wrote:If someone wants to end it, they will, putting a gun to your head is a not a cry for help. Tunnel run a good range, I'd imagine they couldnt have done any more.

Since we opened we have never allowed same day shooting, everything (even members) must be booked no later than 5pm the day before, the reason being that we wanted a separation between life and coming on range.
ugh, I sometimes need the same day availiabilty I can get from the tunnel, my worklife changes at the drop of a hat, and being able to ring them and see what they have availiable is such a good thing. If I wanted to off myself, why would I got the range to do it, all my guns and ammo are at home.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Chapuis

#22 Post by Chapuis »

Laurie wrote:
Thorney wrote:If someone wants to end it, they will, putting a gun to your head is a not a cry for help.
Many years ago I lived in north Colchester. A mile or two north there was the very busy A12 Colchester bypass dual carriageway in a deep cutting flanked north and south by a pair of NHS mental hospitals with a footbridge over the main road between them. The inevitable followed, so the bridge ended up being suicide proofed like a fenced in tunnel.

At the same time, I was a daily rail commuter to London. One of the most regular causes of serious delay, especially in November/December, was suicide with people walking out of cover onto the track just ahead of an approaching train. Very messy! Close off one method and another arises. Of course, we could stop people walking on footpaths near roads, rivers, and railways or have suicide marshals checking their states of mind!

Where I now live (York), the authorities and some civic bodies have become obsessed with drownings in the River Ouse that flows through the city centre. Most of these are summer 'accidents' from idiots who having imbibed large quantities of alcoholic drink think they can fly off the Ouse bridges, run their parapets safely, or demonstrate Olympic games class high-diving skills. However, some are sad desperate people whose inquests subsequently give suicide verdicts. They avoid the city centre bridges and quietly enter the water from secluded unlit spots where nobody sees them. Every time we have this, the call goes out for the river to be virtually walled-in and isolated from the human population the length and breadth of the city, likewise for the bridges to be idiot proofed like the Colchester footbridge.
Laurie we have almost identical situations as you describe local to where I live. I've lost track of the number of bodies I've been involved in recovering from the river over the years, some the result of bravado and others suicides. All the bridges crossing roads or railways close to the three mental health hospitals in the adjoining counties are caged as you describe.

As for the comments by the coroner, well we had a coroner who used to come out with outlandish comments years ago. He was a larger than life character, a solicitor and a Colonel in the territorial army. In many ways the spitting image of Captain Mainwaring. We were just waited for him to make comments criticizing one emergency service or another as he clearly liked to see his name in the local paper.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#23 Post by Mattnall »

1066 wrote:Just the same problem at Beachy Head in my neck of the woods. - Constant calls for the edge of the cliff to be fenced off. Wouldn't make a jot of difference, just something seen to be done.
The wife and I were walking along the cliff path there and I told here it was a suicide hotspot. She thought I was making it up and then we happened upon a Samaritan's sign offering help.

It's a lovely spot and it you really must do it , pick somewhere nice. ;) On a lovely sunny day it'll make you change your mind.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#24 Post by HH1 »

We had a young Dr. from the University of Liverpool working with us on a collaboration research project. She stole Potassium Cyanide from the Labs and committed suicide one weekend. I work with lethal toxins every day along with a number of other Staff and Students.... we have to work on trust.