Airgun question

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Steve12345

Re: Airgun question

#21 Post by Steve12345 »

1066 wrote:

That's a later model Webley senior with the slanted grip and plastic grip plates, good boxed condition made somewhere between 1935-64. Quite collectable and worth , at a guess a couple of hundred pounds. (3.5 ftlb on a good day)
Thanks 1066, appreciate the info! Didn't realise it was that old, I had assumed 70s / 80s but that was only a guess.
Steve12345

#22 Post by Steve12345 »

FredB wrote:if you remove the lead from your house, you will get very wet. Lead paint has not been readily available since the 1950s. ANY metal oxide and most salts are poisonous to a greater or less extent. Watch out for water---too much and it kills you.
Fred
I think that kind of confirms my point, there's a reason we don't generally use lead paint anymore, or paint kids toys with it.

I agree lead has it's uses but you make it sound like I have implied it will kill you simply by looking at it, which is not what I said. Also, I don't generally handle the lead on my roof though or scatter it all over the garden. I think the mains risks at home would be if you sanded down old paint or similar, but that is completely different & off topic. I wasn't planning on using a bullet catcher if just firing the odd few pellets in the garden. If lead free were the same price, and same performance then it just seemed an obvious choice for me, and thats all I was implying, if not, then I will use lead like people have for generations before me.

With regards to the "green" car, if I could buy a car tomorrow for the same price, same performance and with zero emissions or harmful effects to the environment (including manufacture) then I would, and i'm sure many other people would too, but for now that doesn't exist.

On a more constructive note, what sort of distances do people normally fire these at for target practice?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#23 Post by dromia »

The thing is, it is this creeping and irrational disproportionate fear of inanimate things that is moving in and interfering with the proper use of things.

It is this same irrationality and wish to totally stop using something that is perfectly safe when used in context that is driving the public support for the banning of all legally held firearms.

It is exactly the same mentality as your lead dread.

Driving for example has risks and kills and maims far more people that lead every year but you still do it because you, I assume, understand those risks and manage them, so having the same attitude about lead is far more constructive than by choice of action supporting bans, in this case lead which I suspect as much driven by the anti gun agenda as the lead safety agenda.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#24 Post by 1066 »

Steve12345 wrote:
FredB wrote:if you remove the lead from your house, you will get very wet. Lead paint has not been readily available since the 1950s. ANY metal oxide and most salts are poisonous to a greater or less extent. Watch out for water---too much and it kills you.
Fred
On a more constructive note, what sort of distances do people normally fire these at for target practice?
You could plink in your garden at any range you want - depending on safety, neighbors, the length of your garden and your experience. Beer cans at 25 yards with open sights with the Meteor, it will pass through the thin aluminium cans with ease, matchbox sized targets for a bit more of a challenge. On the other hand, if it were a .177 then it would be quite acceptable to use it for bell target competitions that are shot at 6 yards.

For more organised airgun target shooting the ranges used are 6 yards and 10 meters. Shooting the Webley at 10 metres on the 10m pistol card would be a bit of a challenge.

This is my 10m pistol range (Morini 162ie with electronic trigger)

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Steve12345

#25 Post by Steve12345 »

1066 wrote:
Steve12345 wrote:
Fred
You could plink in your garden at any range you want - depending on safety, neighbors, the length of your garden and your experience. Beer cans at 25 yards with open sights with the Meteor, it will pass through the thin aluminium cans with ease, matchbox sized targets for a bit more of a challenge. On the other hand, if it were a .177 then it would be quite acceptable to use it for bell target competitions that are shot at 6 yards.

For more organised airgun target shooting the ranges used are 6 yards and 10 meters. Shooting the Webley at 10 metres on the 10m pistol card would be a bit of a challenge.

This is my 10m pistol range (Morini 162ie with electronic trigger)

Thanks, looks like a nice set up you have. I'll order the parts for the rifle and have a go at shooting it at 25 yards as soon as I get it repaired.
Steve12345

#26 Post by Steve12345 »

dromia wrote:The thing is, it is this creeping and irrational disproportionate fear of inanimate things that is moving in and interfering with the proper use of things.

It is this same irrationality and wish to totally stop using something that is perfectly safe when used in context that is driving the public support for the banning of all legally held firearms.

It is exactly the same mentality as your lead dread.

Driving for example has risks and kills and maims far more people that lead every year but you still do it because you, I assume, understand those risks and manage them, so having the same attitude about lead is far more constructive than by choice of action supporting bans, in this case lead which I suspect as much driven by the anti gun agenda as the lead safety agenda.
That's a bit extreme, I only asked about lead free pellets. There is a tin of normal lead pellets in the rifle box which I will no doubt use first anyway before I go and buy more. Yes I do accept the risks of driving, but unfortunately I don't often have a choice - if I could teleport to work I probably would. Speaking generally, not about shooting in anyway, in most areas of work or sport if you could eliminate a risk with no additional cost or loss of performance than you would?

I was not in anyway talking about shotguns / hunting / the wider use of lead. It was purely a momentary comment about lead in my garden and not wanting very young children to play with them etc, that seemed a reasonable control I thought, but obviously not!
Polchraine

#27 Post by Polchraine »

Ovenpaa wrote:I did not think a +6ft/lbs air pistol was allowed on S1. I could be wrong though, it is not something I have ever come across.

I have the wording on my FAC that permits possession of an SCAC Pistol not exceeding 12ftlb. Mine as it happens does not and is just under 6 ftlb.

SCACs themselves are prohibited - however then can, based on earlier possession be retained.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
walesdave

#28 Post by walesdave »

Apologies for the thread resurrection 8-)

Having a mooch about 'The Trader of Guns' site today and came across the below.

Anyone else see a potential 'porridge for breakfast for the next five years' problem with this?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-pisto ... 3174244638
Polchraine

#29 Post by Polchraine »

walesdave wrote:Apologies for the thread resurrection 8-)

Having a mooch about 'The Trader of Guns' site today and came across the below.

Anyone else see a potential 'porridge for breakfast for the next five years' problem with this?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-pisto ... 3174244638

Cannot find the spec for the actual power. Taking one claim of up to 550 ft/sec with the lowest .22 pellet at 9 grain then it would be just on 6ftlb. The Crosman website does not have the 2250 but their is 2240 pistol - very similar and that is just 440ft/sec from a CO2 cartridge.

So, is it legitimate or not?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#30 Post by 1066 »

Hmmm.. I think this one could be a problem - Not sure about converting what was once classified as a rifle into a pistol? The stock has been removed and a few inches cropped off the barrel and an aftermarket power adjuster fitted.
For a .22 airpistol to be legal, using standard weight pellets (14'ish grains) the velocity needs to be below around 430 fps. I think about the only .22 pellet that comes in under about 12 grains is the .22 Crossman SSP lead free pellets.

I think the power adjuster alone would make this suspect.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com