Home Office Firearms Consultation

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

Re: Home Office Firearms Consultation

#21 Post by BooBoo »

There is an interesting thread over on UKV at the mo re pre-prepd brass.

A number of comments point towards at least one force that regards pre-primed brass as within the max authorised limit for ammunition. To them, it is intent to manufacture.

This shows the danger of local policy. If you look at LR, this all stemmed from a couple of FLM's taking a personal humbage at technical innovation. Some FLDs are all in favor of shooting. Others appear to sit in the opposite camp.

Back to pre-primed cases, it is a long standing legal position that all four elements have to be assembled together to make a round of ammunition. It does however provide a background re intent to manufacture and why it is important for organizations to stamp out such local policies that have no grounding in law.

Only a few days ago, I read some NPCC guidance on what was local travel re CoVid. Local however is not defined... and the suggestion was that regard should be had to the circumstances. This is clearly always going to fail on enforcement... if local is not defined then travel to exercise is fully legal - it may not be within the spirit, but it is not illegal.

I have heard on several occasions "may be this needs a test case". However, forces are only too aware that this would cost an individual a lot of money (which is not a problem for those funded from tax payers). Also, if you lose then you then have a problem other than just a financial one!!!
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#22 Post by BooBoo »

To add:

It was only a short time ago that the HO were suggesting that only the Police should be able to have an input on Guidance. So, local policy in one force becomes guidance without challenge - all forces tend to adhere to guidance even though that may limit the law, safe in the knowledge that many are not going to challenge it. By default, you achieve the outcome - policy of one (and sometimes one person) becomes in essence law over time.

Thankfully, we are so well represented by our bodies that none of this will come to pass.

signfunnypost
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#23 Post by Jorden »

I have filled in the questionaire at the Home Office, but have always felt these "consultations" are a bit like a rapist asking you which bush you would like to be dragged into.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#24 Post by Ovenpaa »

Jorden wrote:I have filled in the questionaire at the Home Office, but have always felt these "consultations" are a bit like a rapist asking you which bush you would like to be dragged into.
Hehe, I can see you fitting in just fine :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#25 Post by Christel »

Jorden plus1 O:-)
To what extent do you consider that the possession of component parts of ammunition with intent to manufacture unauthorised quantities of complete rounds of ammunition should be made an offence?
So in essence we do not know if the question is aimed at crims, FAC holders, which part of the process you end up being unauthorised, going over your limit or making ammunition for a cartridge you do not have on your certificate.

Sloppy to say the least.
Christel
Site Admin

#26 Post by Christel »

Booboo,

We see it all the time, Lincolnshire has made their own rules up based on guidance, this is now "law". You have to have a medical before you can apply for anything. Humberside do not ask for this.

Chipping away.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#27 Post by GeeRam »

Christel wrote: We see it all the time, Lincolnshire has made their own rules up based on guidance, this is now "law". You have to have a medical before you can apply for anything.
Not just Lincolnshire.
This has now been adopted by many other forces as well. Essex, Kent, Sussex, Surrey, Thames Valley and Herts/Beds/Cambs as well.
In fact all of the bordering forces to London now require this, ironically not London's Met Police though which are still playing fair and square.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#28 Post by Pete »

"You have to have a medical before you can apply for anything."

Presumably, you mean a doctors note confirming that you're compis mentis ?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
RDC

#29 Post by RDC »

Pete wrote:"You have to have a medical before you can apply for anything."

Presumably, you mean a doctors note confirming that you're compis mentis ?

Pete
Various forces now require a medical questionnaire (that you download and print off from that force's website) to be filled in and signed by your doctor (or a doctor willing to do it). This has to be submitted with your application / renewal.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#30 Post by Pete »

Hands up all those who feel a single national police force with a clear detailed description of duties/responsibilities would be preferable to the current state of affairs..........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....