Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Just surrendered my 'weapons'.....

#71 Post by hitchphil »

hitchphil wrote:Its Beds part of Herts, Beds & Cambs FLD but i dont know an FLO from there that would do that. Maybe a counter officer once the person handing in failed the patronising funny comment test or barked off at them?

if they are an FAC holder presumably they are insured & can get telephone legal advice from NRA/BASC etc so rebut any such claims with a simple letter, get the HO promised payment & move on .... in the direction of a gunshop to spend the proceeds on some more legit fun.............. what i find disappointing in all the various forums posts on this is the sheer volume of people saying get a lawyer & take them to court? like they are looking for someone to win their cause for them? are they just looking for a fight over this? as its too late! & that the post is premature kicking off the predictable sensational response. When a simple post maybe next week with the real story would be more like reality.......
& relax - Sorted & rescinded, uptight OTT desk plod overridden by HO - OK next topic............
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#72 Post by daman »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please be informed that my spring-assisted knife (occasionally used for letter opening) has now had its spring removed and has been returned to the desk drawer where it has been for the past several years.

No need to panic, the world is a safer place now.

Best wishes

-daman
walesdave

#73 Post by walesdave »

daman wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please be informed that my spring-assisted knife (occasionally used for letter opening) has now had its spring removed and has been returned to the desk drawer where it has been for the past several years.

No need to panic, the world is a safer place now.

Best wishes

-daman
...or now you call it a 'gravity knife' and get £40 for it....double the standard £20 surrender value of an assisted opener!

Looking at the pretty pictures and descriptions of the various types of knives etc. in the HO folder of guidance to police it looks like they've based the 'standard' valuation of an assisted opener on some random cheepie hunk of junk with a spring while the 'gravity knife' examples (showing both original and 'reproduction' are based on the valuable Luftwaffe Gravity Knife.
James84

#74 Post by James84 »

DanTheMan wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:gun went through and everything was accepted. didn't hear from HO until monday, but it was surrendered fri afternoon, so not too bad. Just waiting on my cheque now.
and as I say, all for gun was accepted, even though the licensing manager who dealt with the claim kept telling me I needed reciepts, not print outs, HO were fine with it.
There have been loads of cases where the licensing dept are refusing to accept things like scopes & ammo but the decision is supposed to go to the Home Office who actually approve each claim depending on supporting documentation. It would appear the most straightforward process is to drop these at one of the nominated police stations who will take everything you drop off and let the HO decide. It's not down to the licensing dept to refuse an electronic sight where there is a box for that very item on the Home Office surrender paperwork. The Home Office are more than happy to accept printouts from websites to support non standard valuations although the standard valuations seem quite fair.
I am emailing my FEO today to enquire as to whether I can just drop the ammunition at one of the receiving/approved police stations and claim that way for it, given that other FEOs have collected brass, ammunition and reloading components. It might be worth me just taking it down there anyway and seeing what they say. I have 423 rounds and they are 29p a round, so it isn't going to break the bank. I have no other rifle to use them in, so I suppose I can argue that the rifle being removed from my posession places me out of pocket and stuck with ammunition I cannot use. It seems reasonable to me and I am sure my FEO will agree. I just assume he wasn't sure at the time, much like I wasn't, that ammunition could be handed in.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#75 Post by DanTheMan »

James048 wrote:I am emailing my FEO today to enquire as to whether I can just drop the ammunition at one of the receiving/approved police stations and claim that way for it
That is exactly the process that is outlined in the Offensive Weapons Act surrender and compensation scheme, there is a list of stations that are ready to accept your hand in, no need to check with anyone. Home loads that are not suitable for use in another firearm and can't be sold will be compensated. Factory ammo however can be sold so it would be hard to claim for that.
A.J.P.

#76 Post by A.J.P. »

My claim, including factory ammunition was approved without quibble. I'd previously contacted the HO to query whether my ammunition would be eligible and was told that as it was not compatible with anything else on my ticket, it would be accepted. I provided evidence of value by screen grabbing current ammunition prices from Kranks.
James84

#77 Post by James84 »

DanTheMan wrote:
James048 wrote:I am emailing my FEO today to enquire as to whether I can just drop the ammunition at one of the receiving/approved police stations and claim that way for it
That is exactly the process that is outlined in the Offensive Weapons Act surrender and compensation scheme, there is a list of stations that are ready to accept your hand in, no need to check with anyone. Home loads that are not suitable for use in another firearm and can't be sold will be compensated. Factory ammo however can be sold so it would be hard to claim for that.
Long story short - back in December when the scheme was opened, I received an email telling me to not visit one of the designated stations and that the FEO will collect everything. I also offered to drop it off to save my FEO the trip, which he declined saying he had to come and collect it. Even if it is just out of courtesy, I have sent an email asking.
RDC

#78 Post by RDC »

James048 wrote:
DanTheMan wrote:
Long story short - back in December when the scheme was opened, I received an email telling me to not visit one of the designated stations and that the FEO will collect everything. I also offered to drop it off to save my FEO the trip, which he declined saying he had to come and collect it. Even if it is just out of courtesy, I have sent an email asking.
Is he playing silly buggers with some unknown adgenda, or just genuinely inefficient? Alarm bells ring when you hadn't heard back after a period of time. More so when you find out they did nowt for two weeks after collecting (did that photo of the ref number actually tie up to your claim?). And it turns out he insisted you go out of process by him collecting it in the first place.

If you do anything out of process relating to your FAC, it is held against you. Yet this stinks to high heaven and I doubt he'll even get a talking to, never mind a one way chat.
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#79 Post by Thorney »

I wonder what the final bill for all this will be? A lot more than they claimed I reckon.
toffe wrapper

#80 Post by toffe wrapper »

Looks like each force is doing different things.
My area were efficient as always, appointment time slot arranged for me to go & hand it over. Easy hand in of all I was surrendering.
professional officers easy to deal with & valuation accepted for MOD no quibbles. 1 for 1 Variation back in 10 days no issue from FEO for what I wanted.
Not happy to hand in and surrender a rifle, but happy with how it was done and the large profit I have made.