Bullet question

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Steve12345

Bullet question

#1 Post by Steve12345 »

Hi,

Is anyone able to tell me from the pictures what these would have been used for? I had guessed the larger round would have been used in an aircraft cannon given its size?

The little one looks like a lighter, would this have been sold like this or are they genuine bullets that have been made in to lighters as a DIY job? I assume both were WW2 era as most of the other items I have inherited recently appear to be. I have started adding a few pics will put more when I get round to it. Not all firearm related so may not be of much interest to people in this forum.

https://flic.kr/ps/3UWnzx

Thanks

Steve
Attachments
Bullet2.jpeg
Bullet1.jpeg
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Re: Bullet question

#2 Post by channel12 »

The making of useful items out spend cartridges like lighters was not uncommon during both World Wars. The more decorative work is generally known as trench art, not a soldiers time was spent in trenches being shot at or shelled.

The production of lighters by those with the skill and resources was often a good little earner. The lighters used what ever petrol was available.
The larger shell might be a Bofors gun shell, measure the diameter it should be 40mm.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#3 Post by DanTheMan »

303 & 20mm, the head stamps will tell the story, what are they ?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Moved to the correct forum.

Be aware future mis-posts will be removed.

If in doubt ask!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Steve12345

#5 Post by Steve12345 »

channel12 wrote:The making of useful items out spend cartridges like lighters was not uncommon during both World Wars. The more decorative work is generally known as trench art, not a soldiers time was spent in trenches being shot at or shelled.

The production of lighters by those with the skill and resources was often a good little earner. The lighters used what ever petrol was available.
The larger shell might be a Bofors gun shell, measure the diameter it should be 40mm.
Thanks! Not heard the term trench art before, found loads more examples now I know what I'm searching for.
Steve12345

#6 Post by Steve12345 »

DanTheMan wrote:303 & 20mm, the head stamps will tell the story, what are they ?
Just got back so took a pic of the end, been looking on google as well as was wondering what type of guns these were fired from being so big.
Attachments
Bullet3.jpg
Steve12345

#7 Post by Steve12345 »

dromia wrote:Moved to the correct forum.

Be aware future mis-posts will be removed.

If in doubt ask!
Sorry Dromia,

I didn't know if it would be appropriate in this section due to it being more of a historical question, I'll ask next time!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by 1066 »

Steve12345 wrote:
DanTheMan wrote:303 & 20mm, the head stamps will tell the story, what are they ?
Just got back so took a pic of the end, been looking on google as well as was wondering what type of guns these were fired from being so big.
I think this is a 20mm cannon shell made by the Barking brassware company. Used in a Hispano Suiza cannon, used in many British aircraft.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

1066 wrote:
Steve12345 wrote: I think this is a 20mm cannon shell made by the Barking brassware company. Used in a Hispano Suiza cannon, used in many British aircraft.
I would agree. I have a similar 20mm case from the Halls Telephone company.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#10 Post by meles meles »

Ovenpaa wrote: I have a similar 20mm case from the Halls Telephone company.
Hmmm, shows how resourceful and widespread the war effort was when industry was mobilised, and it definitely sends a message too !
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"