Buying from the EU after Dec 31st

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
rox

Re: Buying from the EU after Dec 31st

#11 Post by rox »

Alpha1 wrote:Having never bought anything except from UK suppliers or specialty stuff from the USA. I am not going to lose any sleep over not being able to purchase from Germany. If I have to pay a bit more to a UK supplier I am not worried. My local registered firearms dealer is a 20-minute drive away. I hope people support his business so he is always a 20-minute drive away.
Exactly - just shoot 30% less, and enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling of supporting rip-off Britain.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#12 Post by channel12 »

channel12 wrote:
It's funny however that sellers in China have no problem shipping low value items to the UK as you will know if you shop on eBay

Its not 'funny' at all - its because the EU has a Free Trade Deal with China. 8-)

According to the European Commission's own website there is no free trade agreement with China

https://trade.ec.europa.eu/access-to-ma ... u-market-0
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#13 Post by Pete »

Don't you mean low cost items? If they do the job, they have the value. If they don't, they soon disappear.
I'd also like to point out that not all shooters rock up to Bisley in the latest Porsche, smiling at the thought that they've paid well over the odds for their stuff.
Current events have made day to day living a struggle for a great many people, including some shooters, if the ads now appearing are anything to go by.......and it's going to get worse.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Blackstuff »

No ones going to be buying any cheap handloading stuff from anywhere if the new attack on shooting goes ahead so no need to worry(!) wallhead
DVC
Individual
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Individual »

channel12 wrote:
channel12 wrote:

According to the European Commission's own website there is no free trade agreement with China

https://trade.ec.europa.eu/access-to-ma ... u-market-0
My apologies - you are correct.

Does seem odd then that Chinese made goods are so cheap in the U.K.
And as you have made clear, it's nothing to do with our EU membership.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#16 Post by phaedra1106 »

Another order sent off to Hunting Sport SARL this morning, so that should keep myself and our club members in sensibly priced Lapua and Hornady bullets for the next few years I would hope :good:

Of course there is a down side, the DPD driver is never happy when he has to carry the 30Kg boxes lol
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Polchraine

#17 Post by Polchraine »

phaedra1106 wrote: Of course there is a down side, the DPD driver is never happy when he has to carry the 30Kg boxes lol
30kg ... thats nothing. The local Hermes driver refused to deliver a package weighing 1.5kg - because it was too heavy, yes one point five.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Polchraine

#18 Post by Polchraine »

In January, EU companies shipping to the UK will be able to send goods without charging local VAT. And depending on which scheme they work under can charge UK VAT (which they remit to HMRC) or you pay it on arrival.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

Polchraine wrote:In January, EU companies shipping to the UK will be able to send goods without charging local VAT. And depending on which scheme they work under can charge UK VAT (which they remit to HMRC) or you pay it on arrival.
As a VAT registered company we already receive EU products VAT free.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#20 Post by Sim G »

rox wrote: Exactly - just shoot 30% less, and enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling of supporting rip-off Britain.

Rip off Britain from EU companies, why do you think that is? The Daily Mail found out seven years ago when they researched the one true, pan-EU company, where the items bought in Gateshead are exactly the same as the items bought in Milan, Berlin or Oslo. Ikea. For exactly the same item Ikea charged the U.K. shoppers some 70 to 300% more than they did in the cheapest EU store. And the reason? IKEA stated that's what the local market can support.

So perhaps the reason Brits get ripped off for Lapua brass is because the European supplier is taking the pi$$?

And case in point, "Mr Amassador" how much does Reload-Swiss charge to supply powdered to the U.K. compared to EU? RS60 87.50 Euros in the Netherlands, but almost 96 quid in old Blighty? It'll be those greedy Brits no doubt!

https://www.cdsgltd.co.uk/reloadswiss-rs60.html

https://www.drummencustomguns.com/en/re ... owder.html
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!