Firearms Safety - Open Consultation - Nov 2020

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Chapuis

Re: Firearms Safety - Open Consultation - Nov 2020

#21 Post by Chapuis »

Christel wrote:Reading through the Firearms Safety Consultation Paper...on page 8 it is noted that a new section has already been added to the Firearms Act of 1968 to anticipate the outcome of the consultation.

I find that disturbing.
Just which part are you referring to Christel as I obviously missed something?
Christel
Site Admin

#22 Post by Christel »

Chapuis,

Click on the link TG posted.
First document is called Firearms Safety Consultation - download file.
Scroll to page 8.
Without seeking to anticipate the outcome of
this consultation, section 61 of the Offensive Weapons Act 2019 has inserted a new
section 27A into the Firearms Act 1968 to impose a duty on the Secretary of State to make
rules prescribing minimum security conditions for safe storage and transportation of high
muzzle energy rifles, which would be attached to the owner’s firearm certificate.
Christel
Site Admin

#23 Post by Christel »

I have changed all the posts with the incorrect page number, I went from a Linux to a Win machine and one had page 8, the other page 11.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#24 Post by Blackstuff »

Could everyone please keep up the good work getting submissions in for this. Rumour around the campfire is the part on handloading and its current wording which would impact certificate holders is a genuine mistake <grabs large pinch of salt> and is going to be reworded....
DVC
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#25 Post by DaveB »

Blackstuff wrote:This is starting to smell like a classic back-door-ban and them actual be trying to limit the amount of component parts certificate holders can possess. i.e. If you're currently authorised to hold 500 rounds of .308 say, you'd only be permitted to have 500 primers, cases etc in your possession at any one time.
Actually I fear you are being optimistic. I suspect if that's the way they are going and your certificate says 500 rounds, then the total of the combination of loaded ammunition, and components to load that ammunition, will probably be limited to 500. That way, theoretically, you could never have more than 500 rounds in your possession.

Never underestimate the damage that will be done by government and their irrational fear of firearms owners.