Replacement barrel help

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Replacement barrel help

#21 Post by Mattnall »

38Super wrote: It's the bolt carrier that is cracked in my GSG 5. I've noticed that the entire bolt carrier has around 10-15 thou of movement when it's in the gun and I'm wondering if it's this that causes the fractures. I've adapted the fixing system to take out the movement and lock the bolt carrier in tight. I'll see if the cracks get worse or not next time I shoot it.
I haven't seen the GSG5 bolt but it might be similar to the others and the crack starts where the bolt halves are screwed together and propagates to the firing pin slot. This allows the two halves to move relative to each other and the locating lugs break off.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#22 Post by 38Super »

Mattnall wrote:I haven't seen the GSG5 bolt but it might be similar to the others and the crack starts where the bolt halves are screwed together and propagates to the firing pin slot. This allows the two halves to move relative to each other and the locating lugs break off.
Here's the GSG bolt carrier group showing where mine is cracked. I can't find a pic of the StG's to compare.
InkedGSG Bolt Group_LI.jpg
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#23 Post by GeeRam »

38Super wrote:
Mattnall wrote:I haven't seen the GSG5 bolt but it might be similar to the others and the crack starts where the bolt halves are screwed together and propagates to the firing pin slot. This allows the two halves to move relative to each other and the locating lugs break off.
Here's the GSG bolt carrier group showing where mine is cracked. I can't find a pic of the StG's to compare.
The attachment InkedGSG Bolt Group_LI.jpg is no longer available
No similarities with the StG.44 at all there it would seem?
stg44.JPG
38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#24 Post by 38Super »

Hard to tell from the diagram.
Does the StG bolt look like this?
Bolt group.JPG