MARS / Lever Relaease

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: MARS / Lever Relaease

#11 Post by Andy632 »

walesdave wrote:[quote="poll007"
As someone who worked for the company that at one time was tasked with 'fixing' NFLMS (I worked about 10 ft away from the developer re-writting a load of NFLMS code) you would not believe the state of the national 'filing' system.

This was over a decade ago so maybe it's all working ok now.... lol 8-) lol
AYE, RIGHT! lol
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#12 Post by Pippin89 »

poll007 wrote:IN THEORY 95% of guns covered by this bill will be either the MARS of SGC Lever releases which technically means they could ask eaitehr vendor for a list of the guns they made/sold and then just trace them though the system-though given the state of the filing system most forces seem to use this evidently wouldn't be practical.
You would imagine (hope) that at least the serial numbers would be correct and they could search by those.
walesdave

#13 Post by walesdave »

Blackstuff wrote:The problem is there ISN'T a N[...] a new action type etc, they can only select from a drop down of pre-entered types. This was (one of) the reasons I had so much trouble with my force when I was applying for one (actually 3 :D )
When I was looking over the developers shoulder one day I asked for a quick 'look' at how the front-end worked, he showed me where the force would add conditions onto the FAC.

The forces were meant to have agreed a universal list of conditions but could never agree on it, so in a SINGLE dropdown list there were ALL the conditions from all 43 England and Wales forces.....shall we just say navigating the list was impossible and the user could never be sure which condition they were selecting. This was on an application that was already in production use wallhead

I hope this is one of the areas that was addressed at the time i.e. a user would only be offered conditions flagged for their force...but you never know!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

Blackstuff wrote:Some versions also don't let the FLD (or they've never been trained how to) add a new action type etc, they can only select from a drop down of pre-entered types. This was (one of) the reasons I had so much trouble with my force when I was applying for one (actually 3 :D )
You don't ask for an action type on the form, only firearm type, which might have been the problem.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Charlotte the flyer
Home club or Range: Classified

#15 Post by Charlotte the flyer »

Mine is on my ticket as a "Lever Action", but then so is my Martini Metford.
The above post probably contains sarcasm or some other form of attempted wit, please don't take it to heart.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#16 Post by Pippin89 »

Mattnall wrote:
Blackstuff wrote:Some versions also don't let the FLD (or they've never been trained how to) add a new action type etc, they can only select from a drop down of pre-entered types. This was (one of) the reasons I had so much trouble with my force when I was applying for one (actually 3 :D )
You don't ask for an action type on the form, only firearm type, which might have been the problem.
When asking for a slot, yes. I think they add the action when they add a firearm to your ticket though which is then where the problem comes in.
Mattnall

#17 Post by Mattnall »

Pippin89 wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
When asking for a slot, yes. I think they add the action when they add a firearm to your ticket though which is then where the problem comes in.
Ah, it read like it was at the application stage.
Many make the mistake on the application/variation of thinking the 'Type' box is action type but it is only firearm type.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

Mattnall wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
Mattnall wrote: Ah, it read like it was at the application stage.
Many make the mistake on the application/variation of thinking the 'Type' box is action type but it is only firearm type.
It isn't a mistake in Durham, Cleveland and other force areas, they insist and you don't get the slot until you tell them. If you try the old 'I haven't made my mind up' routine you're told to go away and apply once you do know! Its been like that for at least 15 years in Durham that I know of. They also insist on a cartridge, at application, not just a calibre. So you can't just ask for say, 7.62 (covering 7.62x51, x39, x54R etc), you have to state the specific cartridge. Its brilliant(!)
DVC
Mattnall

#19 Post by Mattnall »

They need to be taken to task.

I had a similar issue many years ago with a club FAC and the club asked for a letter explaining why they wanted to go against good practice and the Guidance. That sorted it.

I think the calibre thing is a mistake brought about because the police wanted to design the form as they were administering the whole process. With their vast firearms knowledge they put 'calibre' instead of 'cartridge size' and then the confusion started. In the past both my father and myself had 30cal and between us we've had a few different 30cal rifles from 30-30 to 308. That's been nipped in the bud now.

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#20 Post by GeeRam »

Blackstuff wrote: They also insist on a cartridge, at application, not just a calibre. So you can't just ask for say, 7.62 (covering 7.62x51, x39, x54R etc), you have to state the specific cartridge. Its brilliant(!)
That's pretty much common everywhere now though isn't it?

Has been my experience with both the Met.Police and Thames Valley Police, and from experiences of other club members, most of the other south-east area county forces as well.