Offensive weapons act 2019 debacle

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

Re: Offensive weapons act 2019 debacle

#51 Post by Airbrush »

Thanks Mark. :good:
yellowhand
Home club or Range: Sierra Vista AZ gun club

#52 Post by yellowhand »

I just read through all 6 pages of this thread, I knew it was bad in the UK, but never suspected this bad.
Are there any groups formed to fight this?
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#53 Post by IainWR »

yellowhand wrote:I just read through all 6 pages of this thread, I knew it was bad in the UK, but never suspected this bad.
There are several groups formed to fight unfair legislation, and most put the case eloquently and accurately. However, the only organisation that has any real input to government is the British Shooting Sports Council (BSSC), which is an umbrella organisation for a dozen or so National Governing Bodies of various aspects of shooting, including: the National Rifle Association; the National Smallbore Rifle Association, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation; the National Gamekeepers Organsiation; the Gun Trade Association; The UK Practical Shooting Association; The Historical Breechloaders Shooting Association; the Muzzleloaders Association of Great Britiain; the Shooters Rights Asociation; the Sportsmans Association; and several others I can't remember off the top of my head. Look up BSSC and you can find a complete list of affiliated organisations.

BSSC works on the principle that quiet engagement is a better approach than public challenge. It has achieved a number of successes, although recently those have been in terms of limiting the damage once it became apparent that some government course of action was inevitable. Also, it has of itself very limited resources; most commonly, the legal department of BASC and sometimes the legal officer of NRA are the sources of its inputs. Consequently its work is often unrecognised.

The biggest problem in arguing against increased restrictions on firearms in Great Britain (I'm deliberately excluding NI where the law and the attitude is different) is that of the 650 000 or so certificate holders, about 500 000 are shot gun certificate holders only, and thus far since 1968 when the current Firearms Act came along, legislation has not touched them to any significant degree. Until those .5M people come on side to fight the cause, there is just not enough mass in the population to be politically persuasive. So we either get the shotgunners to the front line, or amass enough people in the other shooting sports to be noticeable. It is the case that in the last five years or so, numbers are rising, but we are still orders of magnitude short of critical political mass.

Iain
yellowhand

#54 Post by yellowhand »

IainWR wrote:
yellowhand wrote:I just read through all 6 pages of this thread, I knew it was bad in the UK, but never suspected this bad.
There are several groups formed to fight unfair legislation, and most put the case eloquently and accurately. However, the only organisation that has any real input to government is the British Shooting Sports Council (BSSC), which is an umbrella organisation for a dozen or so National Governing Bodies of various aspects of shooting, including: the National Rifle Association; the National Smallbore Rifle Association, the British Association for Shooting and Conservation; the National Gamekeepers Organsiation; the Gun Trade Association; The UK Practical Shooting Association; The Historical Breechloaders Shooting Association; the Muzzleloaders Association of Great Britiain; the Shooters Rights Asociation; the Sportsmans Association; and several others I can't remember off the top of my head. Look up BSSC and you can find a complete list of affiliated organisations.

BSSC works on the principle that quiet engagement is a better approach than public challenge. It has achieved a number of successes, although recently those have been in terms of limiting the damage once it became apparent that some government course of action was inevitable. Also, it has of itself very limited resources; most commonly, the legal department of BASC and sometimes the legal officer of NRA are the sources of its inputs. Consequently its work is often unrecognised.

The biggest problem in arguing against increased restrictions on firearms in Great Britain (I'm deliberately excluding NI where the law and the attitude is different) is that of the 650 000 or so certificate holders, about 500 000 are shot gun certificate holders only, and thus far since 1968 when the current Firearms Act came along, legislation has not touched them to any significant degree. Until those .5M people come on side to fight the cause, there is just not enough mass in the population to be politically persuasive. So we either get the shotgunners to the front line, or amass enough people in the other shooting sports to be noticeable. It is the case that in the last five years or so, numbers are rising, but we are still orders of magnitude short of critical political mass.

Iain
Thank you Sir.
We have the same disconnect here when it comes to strictly shotgun folks.
I've had several ask me why I "need" to own military grade rifles.
We try and get them to understand, if these people are successful against us, they'd would be next, works with some.
I guess, if your ox is not being gored, why worry about it.
Shortsighted as all hell.
James84

#55 Post by James84 »

Yellowhand, I just took a look at your range and my urge to emigrate just increased further. A facility about the size of Bisley, $6 for the public to shoot all day or $45 for an annual pass??

I'm a member of 2 clubs here - I have to pay a total of £185 a year in membership fees, plus £3 a session and then on top of that I pay £80 a year to the NRA to use Bisley and then around £20 an hour to shoot there...
yellowhand

#56 Post by yellowhand »

James048 wrote:Yellowhand, I just took a look at your range and my urge to emigrate just increased further. A facility about the size of Bisley, $6 for the public to shoot all day or $45 for an annual pass??

I'm a member of 2 clubs here - I have to pay a total of £185 a year in membership fees, plus £3 a session and then on top of that I pay £80 a year to the NRA to use Bisley and then around £20 an hour to shoot there...

This is it;
https://sierravistarange.org/

We do go out now to 600 yards,,,,,,we placed steel targets, hangers, up the side of the mountain backstop, and used laser range finders to mark the distance.:)LOL

Most/many people are retired military, different day rate for ex military, but I pay yearly, have forever, so don;t pay real attention to the daily rates.

I'm going out next week one day, will try and remember to take a lot of pictures, the web site does not show the real extent of the range complex. It sits up on the side of a mountain, and the views across the valley extend 20 miles or more. Its a real pretty area.

We are kinda famous, for having the most beautiful and LARGE outhouse!!!!:)LOL
Five holers for both men and women, with running water.
We put in a well years ago.
Polchraine

#57 Post by Polchraine »

The list and values:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _claim.pdf

Annex B - some interesting values in there too.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
The Event

#58 Post by The Event »

I'm sure all the street thugs will be quickly 'phoning up to make their appointments to hand in their knuckle dusters for the huge £2 bounty (that they won't get anyway because it's less than £30)
I would love to know how they calculated the values for offensive weapons.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#59 Post by BooBoo »

In reality, the only thing that this act does re OW is to make their possession in the home unlawful. OW to be compared and contrasted with weapons of offence - made adapted intended and so forth rather than per se.

So, it may impact upon a few genuine martial arts instructors... but the crims of course still won't care less.
leeroy7031
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

#60 Post by leeroy7031 »

Does anyone have an old copy of gun mart with the costs for components for MARS rifles from Caledonian Arms. I'm looking in specific for the scope mount, flash hider and AR15 magazine adapter for the .223 variant ?
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"