What do people use Pistol calibres for in UK (9mm,.45 etc.)

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: What do people use Pistol calibres for in UK (9mm,.45 et

#41 Post by GeeRam »

MistAgain wrote: And this is why we keep having more restrictsions imposed on us .

Too many of the shooting community are willing to see other types of the sport and other types of firearms banned so they can keep what they have .

How many times have we seen , even on these boards , shooters saying that a certain type of firearms takes advantage of a loophole .
There are no loopholes , a firearm is either legal or not .

We need to start fighting back . We need an association prepared to fight for all types of shooting sport . We need an overwhelming number of shooters to
lean on the existing organisations and get them to fight together , or we need a new organisation that will fight for all shooters .

Just about every shooting organisation has sold out some form of shooting over the years and it should be stopped .
But, we've been saying this since 1988, and its still not happened, and I doubt we will ever have a single organisation that will represent and fight for all shooters. If was going to happen it would have happened in 1988 or especially in 1997, but no, not a chance.
I'd love to see it happen, but I'm too much of a realist to understand it won't.

Trying to find loopholes isn't helping keeping what we've currently got because people can't just accept we are where we are, and its not going to improve.
We will loose more if people keep trying to be creative with the laws just because they want something that looks a bit more Gucci. People have to remember its not what it looks like to 'us' its what it looks like to the politicians, media and job-public who are not educated on the subject and don't want to be either, as all they have to go on is what is fed to them by the mass-media who are not on our side, and never will be.
We are in a no-win situation, and saying we need to start fighting back is laughable. Fight back with what against such an anti-gun media and political opposition?

The only way we are going to not loose any more is to keep our heads down and don't rock the boat, and hope no other nut job makes matters worse for us in the future. Sticking our heads above the top of the trench is only going to result in one thing happening.
Its utterly crap, and I so wish it wasn't the case, but believing it to be otherwise is just living in La-La-Land.
JammyGuns

Re: What do people use Pistol calibres for in UK (9mm,.45 et

#42 Post by JammyGuns »

The combination altogether at once of being of a "tactical" style, lever action, mag fed and bigger than .22, isn't a good idea imo - and I hate to say that, I really do, my heart certainly isn't on the 'laying low' side of things but I fear we must for the time being. By all means I'm all for practical shooting and the releasing of new models/variations of what we currently have. Again it's just that specific combination all at once in one rifle I think may bring things to a head even faster... My fear is that it wouldn't just start the ball rolling on all lever action mechanisms (which would be bad enough) but also all firearms with a tactical aesthetic. Shooters the world over can mock our straight pulls and .22 only self loaders all they want but the truth is they're a huge part of the sport here and greatly enjoyed by many. The banning on style/features is the one piece of nonsense we've so far managed to avoid in the UK. Losing that in combination with lever actions would be devastating - we'd be facing a similar purge currently happening in Canada only starting with even less.