What do people use Pistol calibres for in UK (9mm,.45 etc.)

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

What do people use Pistol calibres for in UK (9mm,.45 etc.)

#1 Post by poll007 »

I've always like the idea of buying or building a Pistol calibre carbine/rifle in the UK (I had been looking at the likes of the the SGC lever release prior to the OWB).

Now i am more looking at designing and building one later down the line.

But my question is, other than plinking at the range, what do people use them for?

Are there competitions people use them in? have people used them in gallery competitions alongside .44/.357 lever actions and the like?

I've enjoyed the bit of PSG I've tried, is there any similar style comps where they can be used? (I know you have 3 gun, but its usually .22 rifles and pistols).

Id be interested in seeing what sorts of rifles people have as well, to the best of my knowledge the main options have been the Lever release, delisle clones or more recently the straight pull ARs (im thinking magazine fed so i've excluded the likes of the Chiappa rhino LBR), ive seen talk of one or two others but not seen any in the UK (like the CBR-9 thats been advertised for an age)
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: What do people use Pistol calibres for in UK (9mm,.45 et

#2 Post by Sim G »

No other mechanically operated rifle will be able to compete in terms of handling, with a lever action. “Action events” along IPSC would have you loading more that shooting. I have seen a number of pistol calibre rifles over the years, but mainly bolt guns. My mate has two custom Marlin lever actions in 9mm and .45acp, but each one was the cost of a decent S/H car!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
poll007
Past Supporter

#3 Post by poll007 »

Sim G wrote:No other mechanically operated rifle will be able to compete in terms of handling, with a lever action. “Action events” along IPSC would have you loading more that shooting. I have seen a number of pistol calibre rifles over the years, but mainly bolt guns. My mate has two custom Marlin lever actions in 9mm and .45acp, but each one was the cost of a decent S/H car!
In terms of speed, lever action is definitely the fastest option for shooting, but loading is usually slow (i take it your mates custom marline are still Tube magazine fed).
If SGC ever release their lever action AR style rifle that would be a big step up (shooting speed from a lever action but the added bonus of detachable magazines)

I saw that IPSC had added a "manually operated" class of some sort to the PCC around the time of the OWB, but have any of these events been held in the UK yet? (I cant seem to find anything in the rulebook to this effect though)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

SGC did do a “lever action” AR years and years ago. Was available in 9mm using Uzi Mags and .30 Carbine using M1 mags. They weren’t that popular because the whole pistol grip pivoted forward to operate the gun and the arc it had to move wasn’t easy to manipulate.

I’ve heard from that SGC are looking at reviving the lever action concept again but with an actual lever at the front and separate from the grip.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

poll007
Past Supporter

#5 Post by poll007 »

I saw photos of the old ones a few years back-certainly interesting-but not the most ergonomic.

they had the new version at pheonix last year i believe (or one of the other big bisley events)

i've not seen it shot yet but it must have a very short throw, especially if people are going to use
non flush fit mags (which in a glock mag fed AR9, why wouldn't you)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

Yeah, I’d give one cabinet space.

38Super
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: FDPC

#7 Post by 38Super »

The UKPSA was promoting PCC matches in February (we did ours early March). I shot the match with my Rossi and loved it. I'm going to be practicing with speedloaders when we're back shooting. I wouldn't want to try it in the run but I think I could refill the tube in about 4 secs.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

I use both 38/357 and 44 for competition. I can also use them for hunting although I haven't done so much as I have better rifles for most jobs.
I did take a rabbit with the 44Mag once when after fox, it wasn't worth keeping for the pot so I don't bother any more.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#9 Post by shugie »

I was contemplating getting a straight pull in 9mm from Lantac, from experience with my Bradley AR I'd say it was only slightly slower than my lever action Rossi, and perhaps an easier movement, pull back, let go. But Lantac don't seem to be making any noises about the 9mm, so I'm contemplating a tuned Marlin from Rimfire Magic.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#10 Post by Geek »

Sim G wrote:Yeah, I’d give one cabinet space.
knowing SGC, I would imagine the cost being the prohibiting factor! What about a straight pull 9mm or 45ACP?

My concern with what SGC propose is that a police force may then determine that lever actions are too deemed in breach of the act (especially with a detachable magazine and not a tube magazine i.e. quicker to load), then all lever action being banned (I do hope not).
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S