Gun controls

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

What would you do?

I'd refuse to participate in anything like that
9%
I'd give it serious consideration, weighing the effort and intrusion against the benefits
33%
I'd ask where I could download the application form
58%

Total votes: 33

bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Gun controls

#51 Post by bnz41 »

Hi Si, Thanks for putting my name up.

You follow the rules laid down or you don't it's a choice we all make. We never had hand guns so now we can and are happy with how we do it, pays your money takes your choice or NOT.

I don't have to take a pistol to a gunsmith for repair the sec 5 gunsmith is a member of the group/club.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#52 Post by Sim G »

The point of the thread is “would you be prepared for further vetting to own...” it’s not, “what is the current position” although the conversation has developed. My point is simply, if you are deemed fit for a .410 single barrel shotgun, then that fitness equates to owning a machine gun. You cannot legislate for mad men nor can you prosecute for what someone might do.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#53 Post by GeeRam »

Sim G wrote:My point is simply, if you are deemed fit for a .410 single barrel shotgun, then that fitness equates to owning a machine gun.
:good:
JammyGuns

#54 Post by JammyGuns »

Just about any firearm can be made concealable by someone with bad intentions via being hidden in something (box of flowers etc) or cutting down, not to mention muzzle loaders don't adhere to the 12/24 rule anyway.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#55 Post by Pete »

I was surprised at some of the exhibits in the Gurkha museum at Winchester.............pistols made out of wood with gaspipe barrels and nails for firing pins, used by Mau Mau and others.
It's not the gun that counts, it's the sanity of the guy who has it...............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#56 Post by Blackstuff »

The concealment 'argument' is a moot point IMO, as has already been mentioned its pretty easy to conceal a 'short' rifle in a long coat, or even a regular/long rifle in an innocuous looking bag, but the main pointlessness of it, is concealability is only really important to someone who intends to use their gun for nefarious purposes AND get away with it, which mass shooters do not 99.999% of the time do.
DVC