Gun controls

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

What would you do?

I'd refuse to participate in anything like that
9%
I'd give it serious consideration, weighing the effort and intrusion against the benefits
33%
I'd ask where I could download the application form
58%

Total votes: 33

TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

Gun controls

#1 Post by TRG-22 »

A thought experiment, probably best not engaged in by those opposed to picayune discussions. If you’re one of those, please do yourself and everyone else a favour by just ignoring it.

I’ve thought about this before, but this post has prompted me to do it...

MistAgain wrote:If either party has the belief or thinks they have data that shows a return of handguns will allow them to retain in power or gain power , they will say that handguns will be returned . Subject to conditions of course.

I know that there is much opposition to the gun controls we have, and to the checks and reports and hoop-jumping needed before the forelock-tugging supplicant is granted the boon of an FAC.

But what if..

Ignoring the practical realities (including fees), what if there was a regime where if you underwent substantial investigation (think SC/eSC/DV sort of thing, hence the “ignoring practical realities”) you would be allowed to own handguns, semi-auto centre-fire rifles, fully auto even, would you go for it?

Whether you think that there should not be requirements like that, would you maintain your purity of position, or would you say “where can I download the application form?”?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Dr. Strangelove

Re: Gun controls

#2 Post by Dr. Strangelove »

I’d download the form! I’ve often thought about something like this. Americans, by and large, seem happy to pay for a tax stamp for one suppressor or one short barrelled rifle - if I could pay a fee to get a CF semi auto rifle and a handgun I would. Not too fussed about full auto - I’d be happy with semi to be honest.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

For me it would depend which political party, one or two (probably even more) I would not support irrespective of their views on shooting (Labour, Lib Dems, Green party, etc,).
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#4 Post by Nelly2014 »

What we would like and what we need are totally different. No one needs a ''Military' style firearm, but being boys at heart we would all love one. If they were returned to us we would find a need in that competition rules, suitable ranges etc would be made/altered to allow for us to compete like in US.
I have always said (and always been shot down :oops:) that if we had central armouries to store our Full-bore semi-autos and pistols we could still enjoy this type of shooting. Many of us pay large amounts of money to travel to other countries and shoot guns that are handed back at the end of shooting. There are many people who store their own guns at ranges in Europe, many on this forum in fact. We don't need to store these firearms at home which is the major issue when fears of the incidents that caused us to lose them in the first place take place elsewhere in the world. Section 7.3 already allows so there is a precedent.
People say it would cost too much. I'm not 'well-off' at all but I would happily pay iro £1000 pa for the facility. Shooting trips to US cost way more than that.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#5 Post by TRG-22 »

Nelly2014 wrote:No one needs a ''Military' style firearm, but being boys at heart we would all love one.
Not sure we should start talking about need. Hardly anybody needs any sort of firearm, they are all boy's toys.

And despite the competitions they are used in, do .22 semi-autos need to look like this?

Nothing wrong with wants.

If those useless toe-rags at the National Lottery ever get the numbers right I'm going to buy a W12 Bentley Continental GT, but I'd never pretend I needed it :D
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I agree with Geek, there are some parties I simply would not accept regardless of the perceived value of the 'reward' Also, the cost to my country would be simply unbearable if certain parties were allowed to take charge. Also (Full disclosure now) The idea of pistol, semi or even full auto does not hold a great degree of interest to me, even though shooting them is usually not much more than a 'phone call away.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Geek

#7 Post by Geek »

[quote="Nelly2014"] I have always said (and always been shot down :oops:) that if we had central armouries to store our Full-bore semi-autos and pistols we could still enjoy this type of shooting.

Either we are trusted with firearms or not, as soon they they were central armouries, no one would be allowed to have a firearm at their home. I do not crave full-bore semi-auto rifles or pistols that much! I enjoy the whole aspect of shooting, from shooting, cleaning, reloading etc. I would not give up what we currently have to be allowed all types of firearms in a central armoury.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
MistAgain

#8 Post by MistAgain »

Handgun Training Licence .
Cost £100.00 . Valid 12 months . No refunds if refused. Training to be at nominated National Handgun Centre (Bisley) Written and accuracy tests at the end of training . Minimum 8 visits required. Training to be paid for by trainee .

Handgun Owners Licence (Type A)
Cost £100.00 per gun . 1 handgun per licence. Valid 2 years .
Handgun(s) must be stored at approved Handgun Range . May only be removed by approved Handgun RFD .

Handgun Owners Licence . (Type B )
Cost £200.00 per gun . 1 Handgun per licence. Valid 2 years .
Handguns may be stored at licence holders home address subject to approved security conditions.
If the handgun owner is competing at an event outside of his police area he must give 28 days notice to all concerned police forces . Movement approval per gun £25.00 .

Approved Handgun Range .
Approval fee £500.00 . Valid 3 years .

Approved Handgun RFD .
Approval fee £500.00 . Valid 3 years .

Approved Handgun Importers Licence .
Approval fee £100.00 . Valid 3 years .

All licence holders must agree to unlimited no-notice inspections between 8am and 10pm .

======================================================================================================

Lets be careful what we wish for .
Geek

#9 Post by Geek »

Ovenpaa wrote:I agree with Geek, there are some parties I simply would not accept regardless of the perceived value of the 'reward' Also, the cost to my country would be simply unbearable if certain parties were allowed to take charge. Also (Full disclosure now) The idea of pistol, semi or even full auto does not hold a great degree of interest to me, even though shooting them is usually not much more than a 'phone call away.
I too agree that "the idea of pistol, semi or even full auto does not hold a great degree of interest to me", although I am sure that it would be fun for a while. However, if it was available, I am sure that I would own what I was allowed, if possible, because I enjoy shooting, but I wouldn't sacrifice what we already have to do it.

I would much prefer a relaxation on the current restrictions (hopefully more achievable) - no need to get a variation or you can only purchase what you have a 'slot' for. Needs to be more sensible i.e. maximum number of firearms with a maximum calibre - you can then go get what you want.
Regards,

Geek

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#10 Post by Pete »

Single shot with a long barrel's fine for me............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....