Renewals and Covid 19

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Renewals and Covid 19

#31 Post by Pippin89 »

Surely the most sensible thing to do would be to give a 6 month extension to everyone who's certs expire in the period from March to July? There would be no paperwork, it would free the firearms department up for other duties etc. They have done the same for MOT's for cars. And a car with an unknown dangerous fault on a car could be far more deadly than someone who's cert has expired by a few months....
The only downside would be that in 6 months time when normality has resumed, there would be an increased number of renewals to process. But this could be handled and managed.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#32 Post by Blackstuff »

"Most sensible" used in the same sentence as firearms licensing procedures, well i'll give you 10/10 for optimism! lol

Considering the effort Merseyside police are apparently going to get guns from people who are in a situation not of their own creation I doubt any such pragmatic solution would have even crossed their minds!

On that note; are RFDs even allowed to be open at the moment or in the case of such situations would there be no choice but to let guns go to the police armoury? :bad:
DVC
RDC

#33 Post by RDC »

Blackstuff wrote:
On that note; are RFDs even allowed to be open at the moment or in the case of such situations would there be no choice but to let guns go to the police armoury? :bad:
The day before lockdown happened, several big RFD near me weren't accepting anything into the store from that morning. I eventually found another that accepted them, but the next day they were closed until lockdown is knitted and weren't accepting anything else.

I suppose it might be a bit different if plod asks, but it still puts the owners/staff at risk of transmitting the virus.
Polchraine

#34 Post by Polchraine »

Blackstuff wrote:"Most sensible" used in the same sentence as firearms licensing procedures, well i'll give you 10/10 for optimism! lol

Considering the effort Merseyside police are apparently going to get guns from people who are in a situation not of their own creation I doubt any such pragmatic solution would have even crossed their minds!

Sensible - you have exactly the right comment.

It would be great to give an extension of 6 months for March to July renewals, then say 4 months for August to October and 2 months for November & December which would smooth out the backlog, provided the applicant submitted their application or a short form and received acknowledgement. Longer term, it would be nice to see the promised 10 year certificates brought in.

My local RFD is open subject to restriction they also offer "Click and Collect" and personal delivery service within 20 mile radius (at cost) .

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#35 Post by daman »

The Met are doing my renewal. I filled in all the forms online a few weeks ago and had a 'visit' over Whatsapp - had to read out the serial numbers of everything in the cabinet, answer the usual questions about who else is in the house, security etc.

I understand new grants are not being done, but expect the renewal to go through ok.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by Sandgroper »

My renewal appeared to be going smoothly until I got a phone call to say that there was no record of a marker on my medical records and I would now need to send a GP response form and pay the appropriate fee to progress my renewal. I was not a happy bunny as I specifically confirmed with my Firearms team that I did not have to send anything off to my GP as I'd done all of this in 2016 (see https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 35#p400335)...being woken from a post night shift sleep probably didn't help my mood either!

Anyway after a couple of phone calls I discovered that my GP practice hadn't put the maker on my records when they were supposed to, fortunately they didn't argue about it and I got the marker put on. So everything should be back on track when I let them know on Monday... fingerscrossed
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Tacticool
Home club or Range: EMMR

#37 Post by Tacticool »

Pippin89 wrote:Surely the most sensible thing to do would be to give a 6 month extension to everyone who's certs expire in the period from March to July? There would be no paperwork, it would free the firearms department up for other duties etc. They have done the same for MOT's for cars. And a car with an unknown dangerous fault on a car could be far more deadly than someone who's cert has expired by a few months....
The only downside would be that in 6 months time when normality has resumed, there would be an increased number of renewals to process. But this could be handled and managed.
Yes, they could change the expiration on all existing FACS by 6 months.

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Cj10

#38 Post by Cj10 »

Cj10 wrote:
Lampuki wrote:Suffolk Firearms

My renewal is due early July. Are there any of you out there in Suffolk in the process of renewal and how is it going?

Cheers
My Suffolk issued FAC and SGC expire in early May.

Submitted renewal paperwork last week in February, and had a FEO visit early March. Not had any follow up communication yet, but am entitled to the eight week certificate extension in any case as I completed my renewal application within the statutory time.

Ceri
Just had a letter from Suffolk this morning stating it will not be possible to decide my application by the certificate expiry date, and my certificate’s validity will be extended by eight weeks.

First time ever that has happened to me.

Ceri
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#39 Post by 450 Martini »

I completed all my renewal paperwork today, the only problem i have is my force send out a additional form to be completed by a club official. I've had to leave that out as the club is currently closed along with all others for the foreseeable future.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#40 Post by Andy632 »

450 Martini wrote:I completed all my renewal paperwork today, the only problem i have is my force send out a additional form to be completed by a club official. I've had to leave that out as the club is currently closed along with all others for the foreseeable future.
It's not an "official" form so don't worry about it, they will probably just phone their club liaison person and ask them about you. I've had two calls about club members renewals this week alone.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.