Renewals and Covid 19

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Rockhopper

Re: Renewals and Covid 19

#11 Post by Rockhopper »

Just done my renewal online, took all of half an hour! Derbyshire will be returning initial applications and variations and refunding any fees paid.
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#12 Post by andy1979 »

Staffordshire and West Midlands are still accepting Initial grants I sent my application in Monday which they received Tuesday.
I received my acknowledgement letter today from them.

They won't be so quick for the rest of the process I suspect even without this crisis they are incredibly slow.

Question.. given the gravity of the situation and the potential for the country to be locked down for an extended period of time how are firearms units going to cope as backlogs build and build over the coming months of not only initial grants but renewals and variations.... will we reach a point where temporary stream lining of the process will be bought in to alleviate the pressure?
Given the performance of some units before this crisis some of them could really struggle to get anywhere near an even keel again.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

I can't believe any Chief would sign off on a "streamlined system".... risk averse sphincters would be puckering like no-one's business!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
MrD

#14 Post by MrD »

As a club secretary, I've just had an email from STS outlining Police Scotland's position on renewals/grants. The full details are on their website. Basically says no new grants will be processed and forms will be returned unless the reason is for essential employment. If your grant is in process, it will be assessed to see if it meets the same requirements and if it doesn't, process will be suspended. Variations will only be accepted if there are exceptional circumstances. Renewals will be processed remotely with no face to face visits and they will try to get it done in time. If not they will issue temporary permits/extensions. Address changes and those transferring to Police Scotland will be dealt with.
This is to free staff to deal with other duties in relation to Covid-19.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#15 Post by redcat »

With many ranges closing a lot of us won't need any new guns for a while! aaarggh

Redcat7
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

redcat wrote:With many ranges closing a lot of us won't need any new guns for a while! aaarggh

Redcat7

We can still buy and sell! It’ll make for a distraction at the moment.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Sim G
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Sim G »

I’ll caveat that above, because in its own it sounds bollox given we can’t get quick variations....

I’ve just bought a scope to change out on one of my guns, and I may have an accessory clear out!

Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#18 Post by Andy632 »

In the 'Old' days, on renewal I would get a phone call from the FEO asking if anything had changed since last time. Usually not, so they just renewed without bothering to visit.

However, I am still in the middle of a renewal at this time; had two bobbies visit about 2 weeks ago, (nothing changed) so it should be well on it's way by now! Gross inefficiency to my mind but Ho-Hum!
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#19 Post by dodgyrog »

As I quoted elsewhere, Durham have 'shut up shop' for the foreseeable future! No applications, renewals nor variations to be handled.
It strikes me that the majority of these could be done over the phone (except for new applications) so why cannot they do it. LACK OF WILL TO DO IT!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#20 Post by Sim G »

Yes it probably is a lack of will these days, but not for the “conspiratorial” reasons some espouse. It’s simply because when things go eventually wrong, as they always will when “people and risk” are involved, the force concerned inevitably has to have protected itself.

Case in point, Durham Constabulary. For a number of years at the turn of the century, Durham was held up as the beacon of how firearm licensing should take place. The working practices were one of cooperation. Then Atherton went mental in Horden....

The media, the victims families, the policing minister, Damien Green, the Coroner, all went after Durham police. Calls for sackings, demotions, criminal charges, changes in the law, the whole shebang!

There was no pragmatism in the examination after the fact. Sometimes people do bad things and now and again, they do really bad things. Despite this, is it any wonder that Durham firearms licensing will do the absolute they can in order to prevent the every aspect of what happens before? No, it is no surprise. But since the ownership of arms went from being a Right to a privilege, it’s not going to get better, only more onerous.