Air Arms PCPs

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
DL.

Air Arms PCPs

#1 Post by DL. »

I have a hankering for an air arms pcp. I've got quite a lot to get down here so bear with me.

When I was a lad, I was a member of an air rifle club. We did Field Target, I enjoyed it very much.

I never really nurtured my competative edge by not actually progressing to PCP air rifles.

At my last FAC renewal, I paid the extra £5 for an "air weapon certificate", I am now feeling that if I had to go to the effort of getting a responsible grown up to sign off on me getting this uber rare licence I may as well use it to get something nice.

I have a diving licence, and had alway intended on buying a cylinder at some point, I think I fancied a 15L faber last time I looked.

At the club, I recall the air arms RN-10 being a desirable thing of beauty, but research shows that there are stunners like the NJR 100 still surfacing occasionally. Titans were the ones to have I remember.

.177 is my preference, I can't quite work out why I enjoy shooting .22 less. I realise you get more shots per fill.

I do love the idea of sub cal trainers, that's why my rimfires are full sized.

The idea of getting an S510 and sourcing a GRS stock is of real interest to me, but I am torn between that and a classic action from the 80's to 90's : would these be unreliable? Do they need servicing all the time. Are regulators important?

I did like the idea of an FX cyclone as I fancy a biathalon style rifle, but stock fit is more important to me and that is something that I think air arms do really well.

Any advice? People in the air rifle club said "folk who go centre fire always end up coming back to air rifles" and it turns out I probably will be albeit after a twenty year break.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Air Arms PCPs

#2 Post by FredB »

In my case it is a 60 year break. I haven't gone back.
Fred
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#3 Post by Les »

DL. wrote:Any advice? People in the air rifle club said "folk who go centre fire always end up coming back to air rifles" and it turns out I probably will be albeit after a twenty year break.
S410 or S510 would be my choice. They are both brilliant rifles, so it would really come down to your personal preference.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

I have just bought a S410 extra, lovely long rifle, and seems to index the mag very well for a second hand gun, I used to have a S400 carbine in .177 that I used for HFT, lovely little gun, accurate and easily capable against the 65yd swinger at the club.
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

I personally have an S410K - carbine with short barrel plus a moderator. Perfect for rats and vermin!

As you have an FAC with "AirWeapon Cert", I guess you are in wonderful Salmond/Sturgeon land ... Does that allow you to have an FAC air rifle at >>12 ft.lb (16.3J) ? Of so, a nice 42 ft.lb S510 XS xtra in 0.25 caliber. You do also occasionally see FAC S410 in 0.25 too

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#6 Post by dromia »

I have a Logun, AirArms 400 and a Career (70ftlbs) PCP air rifles and they hardly get shot as I find the whole air bottle thing a real feck on.

Now my Lincoln Jefferies and Theoben (FAC) springers get regular, at least weekly, use. As do my Webley Senior, Gat and Feinwerkbau pistols.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
DL.

#7 Post by DL. »

I thought that too Polchraine. Sadly the licence is simply to own a <12ft/lbs <6ft/lbs I might end up buying an HW45 just because!

All things being equal I would like a .177 at 20ish ft/lbs but don't want the hassle of having to keep it in the cabinet, I might be interested in doing this in future if a conversion kit is available.

Whats the difference between the S400 and S500 series, the website gives very little description on this.
the running man
Home club or Range: Bdrpc ebrpc

#8 Post by the running man »

I had one years ago, it fell or i dropped it, the tear shape bit at the end of the cylinder that holds the barrell was never ever the same after, and it never shot as well after either.
When someone says "it's not about the money" you know what? it probably is all about money!
Polchraine

#9 Post by Polchraine »

I believe teh main difference is that the S410 is a bolt action whereas the S510 is a side lever - the magazines are identical so it is just how the pellet is loaded into the chamber. There may be a few other minor mods along with an extra £80 or so!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

I have an Air Arms S200 in .177. It’s the most accurate of all my guns out to 35 yards or so, which includes powder burners! I didn’t do the dive bottle route but use a stirrup pump.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!