Medical form for for applications / renewals

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

Re: Medical form for for applications / renewals

#31 Post by Racalman »

I had a quick reply from TVP and they are happy with my interpretation.
Said they would contact me if they needed any more information.
Racalman

#32 Post by Racalman »

A week after posting my form I had a call from the FEO, and my renewal has been approved pending receipt of the medical statement.

Nice work by TVP. Let's hope the GP can meet their standards of efficiency.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#33 Post by Pete »

RDC is correct..............the private consultant will ask you if you want the report sent to your GP.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Racalman

#34 Post by Racalman »

Pete wrote:RDC is correct..............the private consultant will ask you if you want the report sent to your GP.

Pete
Well that's not been my experience. I've had a number of private consultations/procedures. Most were GP referrals so they were notified as a matter of course, but where I referred myself (e.g. for cataract surgery) they have always asked for the GP's details and copied them in on the outcome.

Anyway that's all by the by, because today my signed medical statement arrived and my lovely GP hasn't charged me a bean. lollol
Polchraine

#35 Post by Polchraine »

Racalman wrote: Anyway that's all by the by, because today my signed medical statement arrived and my lovely GP hasn't charged me a bean. lollol
As it should be!

Can you imagine the fuss if GPs decided to charge people for providing a report to employers saying: "patient xxx must shield for 12 weeks due to Covid-19, and will not be able to work". That is outside their normal work but they provide that for free.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#36 Post by hitchphil »

RDC wrote:I used Medcert when my doctors messed me about. Happy with the service tbh.
I think all FAC holders should use a service like this tbh the medical ref 'requirement' is a load of bo...cks for the many who never see their GPs & the requirement is a poxy check list not a underwriting of health or suitability & the charge by some GPs is profiteering.

If all FAC holders did this the costs at Medcert etc might go down & the system be shown for what it really is - ineffectual, tacit bureaucracy & totally rubbish!

Those at CPSA get a £5 discount on Medcert & those in BASC get another good deal & those in NSRA & NRA get sweet fanny adams, unless they get into trouble & need the services of legal.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#37 Post by hitchphil »

RDC wrote:
Racalman wrote:
Pete wrote:If you were only ever referred by your GP, then your answer is no..............had you seen someone privately, then they'd need to know that.

Pete
But private consultations still need to be referred by a GP and they receive a copy of the consultant's letters so all the information is available to the GP.
Not they don't. Anyone can go private right from the start off for anything if they so wish.
I suspect thats a catch all clause to try & outlaw those who might avoid their GP because of a relevant medical issue. Its maybe not so surprising given the officious process & some view that as a 'seize the guns, charge fees & argue later' approach by some FLOs that someone who might have some condition that they think might affect their FAC holding, driving licence, or access to kids if in a dispute, or job etc decide to go private & so off the NHS record. Or the other extreme not consult any medical practitioner at all! in fear of say losing their main pastime, even livelihood if an RFD etc.

TBH if my doc said you have C & 6-12 months & its 2 years to renewal - i might be more interested in spending that time shooting & having some fun vs arguing with my my FLO to keep my kit or put it into inheritance for my family. Guns seized are very difficult to get back & some are quite valuable too (if not damaged in police store as is all too often reported!).

How would any FLO know? or find out? they are private, confidential & you can pay cash, dont carry a mobile or switch it off etc so leave no record whatsoever but a day off grid, even abroad?. Or is big bother accessing private medical data now?

Does it include private counselling? (thats for many reasons - 'I'm fat & feeling depressed'! - "ur not fat get on with life" - job done £50/hr pls) eye tests at spec-savers or a private optometrist? seeing a physio? where does it end? & what is a medical practitioner? is that a qualified Dr only? or some quack with a certificate on the wall selling you opium based - Dr Bones Elixir Cure all?

The medical ref thing has been foisted on us for what reason? political soundbite publicity! & its not even law!! so why do people here then assume they have to tell their Dr, FLO, employer? about stuff? anything & everything remotely medical (ingrown toenails anybody?) vs mental breakdown & visits to beachy head? surely we take a view - if its not on the Dr's list of relevant conditions its not of any relevance? & if its not been diagnosed by a formal Dr it dosen't exist (yet).
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
twotonealex
Home club or Range: Bisley

#38 Post by twotonealex »

Interesting about Med Cert. What do Drs charge normally? I'm due to apply for my FAC in the near future so I'm curious to know whether I should apply for this now and get the letter or wait until I do my application as they might want it 100% up to date.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using "An application"
Racalman

#39 Post by Racalman »

twotonealex wrote:Interesting about Med Cert. What do Drs charge normally? I'm due to apply for my FAC in the near future so I'm curious to know whether I should apply for this now and get the letter or wait until I do my application as they might want it 100% up to date.

Thanks!

FAC applications are on hold at the moment due to Covid-19 as the FEOs aren't doing home visits.

GP fees range from nothing to lots (or a refusal to do it).
twotonealex
Home club or Range: Bisley

#40 Post by twotonealex »

Racalman wrote:
twotonealex wrote:Interesting about Med Cert. What do Drs charge normally? I'm due to apply for my FAC in the near future so I'm curious to know whether I should apply for this now and get the letter or wait until I do my application as they might want it 100% up to date.

Thanks!

FAC applications are on hold at the moment due to Covid-19 as the FEOs aren't doing home visits.

GP fees range from nothing to lots (or a refusal to do it).
Thanks Racalman, I will enquire with my Drs too. I know applications are currently on hold but I'm just trying to get as organised as possible. Thanks!