Forces asking certificate holders to keep fired cases

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Forces asking certificate holders to keep fired cases

#31 Post by Sim G »

TRG-22 wrote:'cos they know they have you over a barrel.

No they don't, not really.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#32 Post by Dark Skies »

TRG-22 wrote:'cos they know they have you over a barrel.
Given the amount of times citizens have found carelessly lost firearms lying about and returned them - only to discover that they were police issued weapons maybe the police should look closer to home. The latest reported foul up was only a week or so ago - the pistol of a police bodyguard of one of our ex PMs was found in a toilet (not for the first time) in an aeroplane. In flight. FFS!
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#33 Post by daman »

I was always taught to pick up my brass at the end of the session. So not an issue for me - I have sacks of brass :-)
Dark Skies

#34 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:
Dark Skies wrote: Given that to hold an FAC in the UK is akin to holding an award for good citizenship over and above an immense section of ordinary citizens it rather begs the question why do the police treat us rather shabbily yet still expect us to welcome every ripping wheeze they come up with?

Which is all the more reason to actually assist if asked and maintain the position of "good citizen", rather than appearing petty and vengeful.

But then I've always tried to hold myself to far higher account than to that which I have been treated...
It works both ways. Well. No it doesn't. But it should. IF you want to maintain cooperation.

This is slightly off-topic but may illustrate why my opinion of the police has deteriorated in the past few years.
My Porsche was severely vandalized by some utter scumbag. A classic that I'd painstakingly restored by hand over five years. The moron had left his dabs all over it. Having some experience of forensics I preserved the evidence by taping plastic sheet over them and drove the car down to our local nick to report the crime and have their SOCO lift the latents. And guess what? I couldn't get anyone to get off their arse to walk out into their own car park. All they had to do was lift these beautiful prints in the comfort of their own nick. I tried Kidlington. Again all anyone wanted to do was foist a number on me for my insurance.

On another occasion I went to report a theft (from an elderly parent) and despite a roomful of chatting coppers (with an attractive volunteer) at the front desk they still insisted I went round the corner to report the incident on a 101 phone in a cubicle.

Others that I know can recount the same sort of attitude. There's a pattern.

So yes. Jaded. Petty. Bloody-minded, call it what you will, but the police have shaped my /our attitudes towards them.
kevinww

#35 Post by kevinww »

I have a vague recollection that this was first touted around 3-4 years ago.
Dark Skies

#36 Post by Dark Skies »

kevinww wrote:I have a vague recollection that this was first touted around 3-4 years ago.
I think you may be right.
And I vaguely recall thinking how can I be sure what cartridges are mine from new and reloaded a few times?
How many are those I've bought in second hand but not yet reloaded?
How many are range pick-ups (I rummage those bins like a good 'un) dropped by the better off?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#37 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote: So yes. Jaded. Petty. Bloody-minded, call it what you will, but the police have shaped my /our attitudes towards them.

I can do nothing about what went before, but why have it shape your judgement?

I've been punched, kicked, spat on, had my family threatened, been stabbed (thank God even crap body armour offers something!), broke my elbow, broke my foot, broke five ribs and nearly lost an eye when lured and ambushed. I never once held it against the next member of the public to whose call I went, when I answered calls that is, I ride a desk now....

But, you are no more to blame for my instances as I am yours. And likewise, you profess to be the "good citizen" and it actually could be the "good cop" that needs one of your cases...

I think we've actually done this sketch before, you and I. I'm going to leave it here, now.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#38 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:
Dark Skies wrote: So yes. Jaded. Petty. Bloody-minded, call it what you will, but the police have shaped my /our attitudes towards them.

I've been punched, kicked, spat on, had my family threatened, been stabbed (thank God even crap body armour offers something!), broke my elbow, broke my foot, broke five ribs and nearly lost an eye when lured and ambushed. I never once held it against the next member of the public to whose call I went, when I answered calls that is, I ride a desk now....

But, you are no more to blame for my instances as I am yours. And likewise, you profess to be the "good citizen" and it actually could be the "good cop" that needs one of your cases...

I think we've actually done this sketch before, you and I. I'm going to leave it here, now.
It's a fair cop, guv.
ordnance

#39 Post by ordnance »

Not something i have come across here, but handguns have to go for a ballistic test.
PSNI You must notify the police of any ‘one-on/one-off’ firearms transactions in Northern Ireland.
A ‘one-on/one-off’ transaction is when a firearms certificate (FAC) holder and a dealer exchange an identical firearm in calibre and type.
Handguns will require ballistic testing. You should contact your local firearms enquiry officer after the exchange.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#40 Post by TRG-22 »

Dark Skies wrote:
Sim G wrote:

It's a fair cop, guv.
As someone I once worked with was fond of saying, "When you're in trouble you don't phone a hippy"
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.