Forces asking certificate holders to keep fired cases

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

Re: Forces asking certificate holders to keep fired cases

#21 Post by TRG-22 »

Wih my emphasis, Sim G wrote:It is well documented that cases recovered from crime scenes have, when then linked to a subsequently recovered firearm, have certainly aided in solving previous unsolved cases.
Indeed, but they key point there is the subsequently recovered firearm - all this proposal will do is to identify the owner of a gun already known to bave been stolen from him but still missing.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#22 Post by Sim G »

No, it doesn't.

My gun is stolen in Newcastle. My gun is used in the murder of a man in Paignton later on. There is a cartridge case from the crime scene, now that just means the gun used was the same caliber as a load of other guns stolen or acquired some other way.

If a fried case from my gun was made available and a comparison made, immediately two events at opposite ends of the country are now linked. Various actions and lines of enquiry now come from this very simple fact.

A fired case will not necessarily help recover a stolen firearm in itself, but it may help in determining all manner of other offences along the way.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#23 Post by Dark Skies »

Years of mission creep, being vaguely assumed suspicious merely for enjoying shooting, plus all the clusterfuck of forces led arse covering make-it-up-as-you-go-along BS makes me not want to help. My good nature has long been spent.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#24 Post by Sim G »

And after years of being involved in serious and complex investigations, the tiniest piece of evidence can prove vital.

Make no bones about it, if they're looking for fired cases it's because a gun may be fired. And at the end of that gun may have been an innocent victim. And with that innocent victim, may be a family....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Dark Skies

#25 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:And after years of being involved in serious and complex investigations, the tiniest piece of evidence can prove vital.

Make no bones about it, if they're looking for fired cases it's because a gun may be fired. And at the end of that gun may have been an innocent victim. And with that innocent victim, may be a family....
And that's why I go over the top to do my bit by not having them stolen in the first place.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#26 Post by Sim G »

Which is why when you said you have no interest in supporting such a request, it makes no sense, other than bloody mindedness.

Dark Skies

#27 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:Which is why when you said you have no interest in supporting such a request, it makes no sense, other than bloody mindedness.
Given that to hold an FAC in the UK is akin to holding an award for good citizenship over and above an immense section of ordinary citizens it rather begs the question why do the police treat us rather shabbily yet still expect us to welcome every ripping wheeze they come up with?
TRG-22

#28 Post by TRG-22 »

'cos they know they have you over a barrel.
TRG-22

#29 Post by TRG-22 »

Sim G wrote:No, it doesn't.

My gun is stolen in Newcastle. My gun is used in the murder of a man in Paignton later on. There is a cartridge case from the crime scene, now that just means the gun used was the same caliber as a load of other guns stolen or acquired some other way.

If a fried case from my gun was made available and a comparison made, immediately two events at opposite ends of the country are now linked. Various actions and lines of enquiry now come from this very simple fact.

A fired case will not necessarily help recover a stolen firearm in itself, but it may help in determining all manner of other offences along the way.
Take your point.

Maybe they should ask for fired bullets too.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#30 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote: Given that to hold an FAC in the UK is akin to holding an award for good citizenship over and above an immense section of ordinary citizens it rather begs the question why do the police treat us rather shabbily yet still expect us to welcome every ripping wheeze they come up with?

Which is all the more reason to actually assist if asked and maintain the position of "good citizen", rather than appearing petty and vengeful.

But then I've always tried to hold myself to far higher account than to that which I have been treated...