Medical Cert charges

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
daryldiane
Home club or Range: Bisley

Medical Cert charges

#1 Post by daryldiane »

Have heard of two FAC renewal medical certificates costing £90 and £100!
Also rumours that up to £350 has been charged.
The form takes about five minutes to fill in. I realise that GPs are busy but that's ridiculous.
Are any efforts being made to standardise the fee at reasonable level?
A lot of people will be put off renewing.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: Medical Cert charges

#2 Post by Dellboy »

check on Basc deal ...
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

daryldiane wrote: A lot of people will be put off renewing.
Yeah but, why do you think the fee is in place...why do you think Lincolnshire is asking for this ridiculous form to be filled in and submitted before the application, then when people have not understood that that is the case, they have to lodge their guns with an RFD because the FAC will be issued late while they wait for the med form.

Meanwhile, Humberside is not asking for this malarkey and BASC can't touch forces who do despite it not being in the firearms act anywhere.

It is the principle I am fuming over, not the form itself.

andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#4 Post by andy1979 »

It's a joke that our Firearms governance is a postcode lottery.

Surely someone must eventually see sense and issue a set of guidelines and make every police force follow them instead of making the rules up as they go along.

I'm dreading it when I submit my application as I have declarable medical conditions so i'm in for a right fun game i'm hoping West Midlands police are one of the forces that will process after 28 days as my GP is a joke at the best of times.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#5 Post by TattooedGun »

andy1979 wrote:It's a joke that our Firearms governance is a postcode lottery.

Surely someone must eventually see sense and issue a set of guidelines and make every police force follow them instead of making the rules up as they go along.

I'm dreading it when I submit my application as I have declarable medical conditions so i'm in for a right fun game i'm hoping West Midlands police are one of the forces that will process after 28 days as my GP is a joke at the best of times.
As my wife just had to wait for medical reference from her GP, West Mids were definitely not one of the forces that will process after 28 days regardless...

It cost my wife £50 for a reference letter from her GP. Seemingly on the smaller side of those you've been quoted, still a hard pill to swallow for something that's not required in legislation :(
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by 1066 »

My local GP surgery want £80 - a rather abrupt letter from the surgery manager says the letter/form will not be forwarded to your GP until the fee is paid. Luckily I squeezed my renewal in before the Jan 1st when Sussex/Surrey started implementing the scheme.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Dellboy wrote:check on Basc deal ...
So how much is the BASC "deal"?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#8 Post by andy1979 »

TattooedGun wrote:

As my wife just had to wait for medical reference from her GP, West Mids were definitely not one of the forces that will process after 28 days regardless...

It cost my wife £50 for a reference letter from her GP. Seemingly on the smaller side of those you've been quoted, still a hard pill to swallow for something that's not required in legislation :(

Wonderful not only are West Midlands the worst performing police force I've got to mess about with my GP as well I might get my certificates this year at some point.

They really are trying to make it more hassle than it's worth aren't they.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#9 Post by redcat »

So what does a doctor's letter say? That the last time he saw you, which in my case would be a number of years ago, you were not a raving looney and in his opinion you are OK to have firearms? Doctors make mistakes - I have seen that first hand. What happens when someone gets a doctor's letter, is granted their FAC and subsequently commits firearms crime? Is the doctor liable in any way?

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#10 Post by TattooedGun »

andy1979 wrote:
TattooedGun wrote:

Wonderful not only are West Midlands the worst performing police force I've got to mess about with my GP as well I might get my certificates this year at some point.

They really are trying to make it more hassle than it's worth aren't they.
You've certainly got to be committed to wanting a licence!

I think the 9 months you've quoted on a lady at your club is excessive and far from the norm. Presumably there is something else going on than a standard application if it's being held up that long.

My wife had her interview this week. The cheque was cashed in September, she should have her certificate, and my updated certificate back within the next 2 weeks.

There was a stall from having to get a letter from GP which would have added at least a month between my wife being told she needed it, calling the surgery and requesting it, chasing up the GP, and having to go and fetch the letter and get it sent.

There was also another stall from my wifes schedule (she works at the NHS) coinciding with the part-time FEO's schedule, this probably cost another couple of weeks at least.

If you're flexible and there are no issues, even at this point I reckon you could get an FAC within 3 months with West Mids.

All I would say is, it's not a race, and as frustrating as it is waiting to get your own firearms, you can still shoot club firearms and enjoy the sport, I'll also drop the same advice I give to anyone whose gettign their first FAC.

For the love of all that is holy do not rush out to buy something as soon as it lands. By all means research and find something you want to buy, do not jump at the first thing that gets offered that fits a slot on your ticket...