Forces asking certificate holders to keep fired cases

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

Forces asking certificate holders to keep fired cases

#1 Post by JSC »

I haven't seen a post about this, so not sure if it's common knowledge but some forces have started asking FAC and presumably SGC holders to keep fired cases in case their guns are stolen and used in a crime.

Just FYI.
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Forces asking certificate holders to keep fired cases

#2 Post by 1066 »

JSC wrote:I haven't seen a post about this, so not sure if it's common knowledge but some forces have started asking FAC and presumably SGC holders to keep fired cases in case their guns are stolen and used in a crime.

Just FYI.
Mission creep in action - One force starts the ball rolling, no meaningful opposition, so more jump on the band wagon.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have not come across this from firearms teams however it does make sense. I know of one firearms manufacturer who used to keep two fired cartridge cases from every new build however I am not sure this practice continues these days.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Not a terrible idea to be honest. A slight irritation to owners but really not much of a bother. Couple of fired cases from each firearm in a sandwich bag and shoved in a draw somewhere. Worse things have been asked of us.
My opinion would be to comply with this one happily. If you argue everything then it would form the habit of ignoring our arguments. At least when something we really should argue against comes up we may have some mild good graces from accepting this one.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Pippin89 wrote:Not a terrible idea to be honest. A slight irritation to owners but really not much of a bother. Couple of fired cases from each firearm in a sandwich bag and shoved in a draw somewhere. Worse things have been asked of us.
My opinion would be to comply with this one happily. If you argue everything then it would form the habit of ignoring our arguments. At least when something we really should argue against comes up we may have some mild good graces from accepting this one.
If only reason worked with firearms certification, it is the acquiescing to every daft demand, thank you "national" organisations, that has got us in bloody mess we are in now. What is the likelihood of stolen legal firearms being used in a violent crime? How often has this happened in the past? How proportionate is this imposition on legal firearms owner? What if you shoot muzzle loaders or paper cartridge guns? Once we agree to this we are agreeing to the gun control network claim that legally owned firearms are a real threat to public safety.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#6 Post by TattooedGun »

Also, I'm not sure who this helps, or even how?

Are they suggesting that we keep samples of fired cases that we turn in at the point a firearm is stolen, or are they going to request samples from everyone within a catchment area of a crime if and when one occurs if they believe a gun is used in a crime? At what point does the sample become irrelevant. if you have a sample when the firearm is made, then 3000 rounds later it's stolen, is the original sample still valid? has the chamber/bolt face/extractor not worn over that period?

Simply, I don't see who this benefits.

All of these "hoops" to jump through and hurdles put in our way to enjoy firearm ownership. Next they'll want us all to sign up to DNA databases to make sure there's no hereditary crazy genes in our blood?!
MistAgain

#7 Post by MistAgain »

Pippin89 wrote:Not a terrible idea to be honest. A slight irritation to owners but really not much of a bother. Couple of fired cases from each firearm in a sandwich bag and shoved in a draw somewhere. Worse things have been asked of us.
Sorry , but I must disagree with you .

Whatever force came up with this stupid idea needs to be stamped on very hard before it spreads to other forces .

Next they will want to keep the cases , and after that..............borrow our firearms for forensic testing !

If anyone has written proof of this stupidity , they should be sending it to BASC at least .
lapua338

#8 Post by lapua338 »

If only reason worked with firearms certification, it is the acquiescing to every daft demand, thank you "national" organisations, that has got us in bloody mess we are in now. What is the likelihood of stolen legal firearms being used in a violent crime? How often has this happened in the past? How proportionate is this imposition on legal firearms owner? What if you shoot muzzle loaders or paper cartridge guns. Once we agree to this we are agreeing to the gun control network claim that legally owned firearms are a real threat to public safety.
Absolutely!

What next? A DNA sample from certificate holders?
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#9 Post by JSC »

One thought - let's say one of us had a firearm stolen and it was used in a crime where a fired case was discarded.
The Police have the sample fired case we've given them and so they match it to the case from the crime scene and now know it's our gun that's been used in the crime.
How does that help them catch the criminal or take that gun off the street?
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#10 Post by mag41uk »

I think this is historical or should that be hysterical?
I read about this a few years back - I am tempted to say Merseyside or GMP.
It wasn't any thing more ominous than a request - nothing onerous of the fac holder and no requirement to conform.