Shooting Mat/Bag Recomendations

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

Re: Shooting Mat/Bag Recomendations

#11 Post by poll007 »

TattooedGun wrote:
poll007 wrote:
shoppe wrote:Hi

I think you would be much better getting a separate shooting mat.

All my rifle bags have the little odds and ends for that rifle in the pockets so it would not be good to start lying on them.

I would think the padding on a combined bag / mat would eventually get squashed and not give the protection ( of the rifle ) you want.

Also sand, earth etc would get inside the bag .

Far better to get a shooting mat

Cheers
Shoppe
I already have a separate tool bag for most of my shooting bits at the range.

The main reason for trying to combine the 2 is space and carrying capacity( I've thankfully upgraded from having to use a motorcycle for all my shooting to a tiny car-but once it has my current kit (and club equipment i help with) space is very much at a premium (i feel bad for the students i take that have to sit with equipment on their lap lol )
As someone whose used a shooting mat/bag combined and had it rain on them, it's worth the tiny amount of extra space just to save the surface rust that can appear by the time you drive home with a wet gun in a wet bag after a 2 hour car journey...!

If they don't wanna get squashed up they should learn to drive! lol
Glad to get the opinion from someone with experience using them!

The irony is a few of them have licenses (and bigger cars than me i believe) but thanks to the uni/local council they have nowhere to park them during term time
markd290

#12 Post by markd290 »

I like AIM for bags but I have an Ulfhednar shooting mat that I prefer to the AIM ones, it's great quality, couldn't recommend it highly enough

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/ulfhe ... ooting-mat
Christel
Site Admin

#13 Post by Christel »

I got a rifle bag that doubles up as a shooting mat from the chaps at the Phoenix, Dutch people, not sure what the company is called.

Got to say it is excellent, I do however not shoot in the rain.