Burglar alarms

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

Re: Burglar alarms

#11 Post by TRG-22 »

Andy632 wrote:Will the police even respond should the alarm go off & they're contacted by the monitoring company??
(I believe they don't for banks!!) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32253724
An interesting question.

If they've asked you to install an alarm because they know you have guns, and then they don't respond when they think your guns might be being stolen, can you say "PR nightmare"?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#12 Post by TRG-22 »

Anyway, time to cue the mingle-mangle music....
andrew375 wrote:Look at the houses around you, if yours is the only one without an alarm guess which house will be most likely to be broken in to.

I "casually" mentioned this to SWMBO, and asked what she thought about getting one. She stared, and said that when she was over at a friend's house yesterday, the friend was telling her that someone in her road had just been burgled, and he had the only house in the road without an alarm... :o

So we's getting one.

Need to work out how to deal with the problem that the aforementioned dozy son works odd shifts, and keeps odd hours, and is known to go outside at 2-3-4AM for a smoke (not allowed in the house), so will have to have the unsetting/resetting of the alarm beaten into him.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

TRG-22 wrote:Anyway, time to cue the mingle-mangle music....
andrew375 wrote:Look at the houses around you, if yours is the only one without an alarm guess which house will be most likely to be broken in to.

I "casually" mentioned this to SWMBO, and asked what she thought about getting one. She stared, and said that when she was over at a friend's house yesterday, the friend was telling her that someone in her road had just been burgled, and he had the only house in the road without an alarm... :o

So we's getting one.
I've recently just moved out of West London, and while an alarm wasn't a requirement by the Met on first app, they will check the stats, for your road/post code etc., and if there's been a lot of break-in activity in the area, they might suggest it.
As you've mentioned though, as 'management' has approved the idea if your the only one without in the road its a good move anyway :good:
Polchraine

#14 Post by Polchraine »

TRG-22 wrote:
Polchraine wrote:At present, for example, if during the day anyone in the house enters te room where my gun safes are, I get an alert.
If you've got a "gun room", have you considered a massively loud siren in it, and a fogger?
'kin loud Sound bomb

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

We had a standard type alarm system, but so many alarms go off unintentionally in our area that nobody pays any attention. We decided to upgrade to a monitored type. The first thing that ADT did was to remove the bell from the outside box and replace the box with one with a small solar panel on top which powers a flashing light. Internally, an incredibly loud siren was fitted. i still have a separate alarm on the gunroom which does have an outside siren. This is a DIY type and has functioned perfectly for 29 years .
Fred
andrew375

#16 Post by andrew375 »

Andy632 wrote:Will the police even respond should the alarm go off & they're contacted by the monitoring company??
(I believe they don't for banks!!) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32253724
The usual policy is they will respond the first 3 occasions, but if they are false alarms they won't respond again unless the alarm company has checked it out first. So the minimum wage employee at the alarm company will, after identifying a suitable target like a residential address (why would you want to go to the expense if you hadn't got something out of the ordinary and valuable? ) will trigger a false alarm a few times then tell his mates where to go and when. There have been at least two clubs that I know of that had armouries with monitored alarms that were broken in to and they only found out when a member went to open up at the usual time. So fat lot of good that was!
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#17 Post by Dark Skies »

TRG-22 wrote:Anyway, time to cue the mingle-mangle music....

So we's getting one.

Need to work out how to deal with the problem that the aforementioned dozy son works odd shifts, and keeps odd hours, and is known to go outside at 2-3-4AM for a smoke (not allowed in the house), so will have to have the unsetting/resetting of the alarm beaten into him.
Some alarms have easy to use key fobs for arming and disarming at the press of a button.

I have a Yale Smart Alarm that does this.
It's quite comprehensive and easy to add on more things such as panic buttons and cameras etc. etc. It is operated over my phone and reports alarms tro it to. I prefer to be in control rather than rely on someone 'monitoring it', maybe.
If it ever went off I'd call the cops and tell them my armoury was being broken into. That ought to speed things up.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
RDC

#18 Post by RDC »

Dark Skies wrote: I prefer to be in control rather than rely on someone 'monitoring it', maybe.
If it ever went off I'd call the cops and tell them my armoury was being broken into. That ought to speed things up.
I'm aware of a large and expensive property that had monitored external cameras and an internal alarm on the ground floor that required two activated PIRs in a given area to trigger. The problem was that the monitoring company and the response team was 40 minutes away in Manchester.

They did eventually change the security contractor to on-site security.
Yogibear

#19 Post by Yogibear »

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but...
Would people be interested in a Professional grade alarm system with wireless / wired sensors/detectors, Smart app and SMS control etc?
If I was to pre configure, set up (I could wire detectors with a short length of cable) and test on my bench then post (or collect from Bisley). All you would have to do is connect to an electric supply, mount the detectors, put longer cables to any wired detectors, insert Sim card of your choice.
We would be able to configure how you wanted it eg gun cabinet detector is permanently armed even when the rest o the house is disarmed etc.
Just thinking out loud atm. Not sure what sort of cost this would be, but definitely more than the DIY toys, but cheaper than paying some one to do it for you.
I usually install large systems, but all my suppliers smaller systems are available to me.
Polchraine

#20 Post by Polchraine »

Dark Skies wrote:
Some alarms have easy to use key fobs for arming and disarming at the press of a button.

I have a Yale Smart Alarm that does this.
Lose the fob and you have immediately compromised the system. Fobs are fine for arming but NOT for disarming unless it requires a code too.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.