Burglar alarms

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

Burglar alarms

#1 Post by TRG-22 »

How common is it for one's local force (in my case the Met) to ask for these?

Scenario would be an initial application, with 6-8 slots (i.e. 3-4 guns + 3-4 moderators, if I've understood the advice here about minimising the cost of changes).

Said slots v. unlikely to be for .50BMG, AR-15, even if those b*****ds at the lottery do eventually do the right thing and pick the right numbers one day.

I've never had an interest in having a burglar alarm - I don't live anywhere secluded, I don't have a posh house, and unless a 10-year old Merc is a posh car, I don't drive a posh car, but I'm asking because I'm going to be having major work done on the house this year - extension & internal mods, so if later on the FEO is likely to ask for an alarm system I'd rather put it in now than shortly after I've had all the work done.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

Re: Burglar alarms

#2 Post by redcat »

Burglars don't only break into houses with firearms inside. How much are the electrical contents of your home worth against a few hundred pounds for an alarm?

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

The rule of thumb seems to be when guns held go into double figures an alarm is required. If it is a grade 1,2 or 3, is maintained or fully monitored always seems to be overlooked.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Quite unusual in my experience for an initial grant/sub double digit numbers of actual guns. :bad:

Unless you get on well with your neighbours its unlikely anyone is going to respond to a normal alarm going off on your house so they're next to pointless, other than perhaps as a mild deterrent ofr opportunist thiefs (who if you're managing the security of your house properly wouldn't get the chance to get in anyway). I would suggest if someone was breaking into a house for guns they would be highly determined and well prepared and as such an alarm is superfluous, but hey ho.

A thought that's just occurred to me is if you do have an alarm/have installed one because of a recommendation/requirement from the FLD, if you forget/just don't set it (because you have a dog in the house that would set it off for example) and your property is burgled and guns taken, could they use it as an excuse to revoke your certificate?
DVC
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

If you do go for an alarm then DO NOT buy one of those from a DIY shed. Even if you self install, you can fit a good quality professional one and anyone looking at the property will see the deterrent and not know if it is monitored.

You can get high quality grade 3 compliant alarms for self install and hav eit self monitored - it will send an alert to your phone. At present, for example, if during the day anyone in the house enters te room where my gun safes are, I get an alert. Similarly if the remote shed or garage are opened I am alerted. When the system is set, I am alerted then, followed by any alarm detectection , and when the systems is disarmed. You can also expand te system to drive a few lights around the house ...

£400 (max) for materials, plus installation of 1 or 2 days will be a small amount in addition to your other building costs.

And being in W London, I could easily direct you to the right suppliers or installers, or provide direct installation advice.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

When I had my last variation, and again at the recent renewal, my FEO asking if I had an alarm.

I said no, but I do have CCTV covering the front and back of the house, and they were happy with that, although I get the feeling if I wanted to increase my holding by another gun or 2, they would insist on an alarm before granting them.

Fortunately (?) finances and SWMBO will prevent any purchases in future...
andrew375

#7 Post by andrew375 »

Look at the houses around you, if yours is the only one without an alarm guess which house will be most likely to be broken in to. As another poster has pointed out, how much do you have in highly portable and easily sellable electronics? These are what are attractive to the neighborhood druggy.

Another thing to consider about installing an alarm is your home insurance. If on your application you say you have an alarm but then don't set it and you get broken in to then it could reduce the amount of compensation you will receive.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
TRG-22

#8 Post by TRG-22 »

redcat wrote:How much are the electrical contents of your home worth against a few hundred pounds for an alarm?
That is a valid question, but as I said, I've ever really felt the need. I've always felt (and I accept I might be deluded) that my house doesn't look like a worthwhile target to a "proper" burglar, and that good door/window security will deter the opportunistic smackhead.

However....

andrew375 wrote:Look at the houses around you, if yours is the only one without an alarm guess which house will be most likely to be broken in to.
That is a very good point. Looking out of the window of the room I'm in at the houses opposite I can see 6 out of 8 with alarm boxes (or dummies).

Might need to think of a way to get the decision under the radar. SWMBO isn't 100% happy with the thought of "guns in the house", but when that came up I said well, who knows, I might find I'm so useless now that I won't want to bother, or I'm not interested enough to want to spend the money, and anyway the rules are so strict that it's perfectly safe, you absoutely cannot have guns just "lying around". So "we should have an alarm installed ready in case I need one to get an FAC" won't go down well.

I might take a wider look at the houses nearby, and see if we look the odd one out.

andrew375 wrote:As another poster has pointed out, how much do you have in highly portable and easily sellable electronics?
Actually very little, but of course the smackhead wont know that until after he has broken in.

andrew375 wrote:If on your application you say you have an alarm but then don't set it and you get broken in to then it could reduce the amount of compensation you will receive.
Or more likely we go on holiday and our dozy son forgets to set it.
TRG-22

#9 Post by TRG-22 »

Polchraine wrote:At present, for example, if during the day anyone in the house enters te room where my gun safes are, I get an alert.
If you've got a "gun room", have you considered a massively loud siren in it, and a fogger?

And being in W London, I could easily direct you to the right suppliers or installers, or provide direct installation advice.
I might take you up on that sometime - thanks.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#10 Post by Andy632 »

Will the police even respond should the alarm go off & they're contacted by the monitoring company??
(I believe they don't for banks!!) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32253724
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.