Cave heating

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

Cave heating

#1 Post by johngarnett »

Now the mercury has dropped may I ask what has been found to be the most effective heating in The Cave.
I have a single block cave as part of the garage. I have insulated the roof with polystyrene. The windows are coverd with polystyrene boards to further insulate and obscure. The volume is approx. 6' x 12' x 9'. So far I have a 180w tubular wall heater on all the time and when really cold I leave a finned oil radiator on with thermostat pretty low. This works well but is there anything better please?

The safes feel like chillers and the guns...... aaarggh

Any thoughts please people.

Thank you

JohnG :cornwall:
Polchraine

Re: Cave heating

#2 Post by Polchraine »

The floor !

I would guess you are on a concrete slab. If so, put down some 40mm battens on a DP membrane and fill between them with Celotex/Kingspan/similar (or even cheap rockwool). 18mm ply over that and see what a difference it makes.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#3 Post by ukrifleman »

If you are on a concrete floor, even a piece of cheap carpet will make a difference
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

We use this sort of thing in the workshop over concrete and sheet chalk. They do insulate your feet from the cold, isolate swarf and dirt and are easily moved for cleaning.

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

A mat or carpet will make it fell warm under foot but there is still a need to isolate or insulate from the massive cold thermal mass.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
johngarnett
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#6 Post by johngarnett »

Thank you all. Yes, I do have floor insulation from the rest of Cornwall! Rubber matting with knobbles to keep off the floor.
Heating wise, I have resorted to my finned oil filled radiator. At least it's warming up now!!
Thank you for help.
JohnG