Possible new range in Mid Wales, comments...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Little Mark
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke

Possible new range in Mid Wales, comments...

#1 Post by Little Mark »

I have just been given an opportunity to bring forward a 600 - 800 yards range in Mid Wales with a practical SG area and just about anything you can think of. We might get 1000 yards out of it but that will need to be checked. I intend to run it as a HO approved private members club and allow access to other clubs for day visits.

Before I invest in the site I am trying to gauge the level of interests there is from Mid Wales FAC holders who would welcome a new club to join and also from members of clubs who would value the opportunity to shoot longer distances without having to try and book (and keep) a MOD range facility.

There are no local clubs and at this distance it is a pretty unique opportunity anywhere. What do you guys and gals think....
Rarms
Past Supporter

Re: Possible new range in Mid Wales, comments...

#2 Post by Rarms »

Didn't the guy from Minsterley or someone try and do similar with Radnor? Assume that didn't work out? Also WMS is over that way?
DaveT

#3 Post by DaveT »

Given the awful state of MOD range booking any new range can only be a good thjng.
People will travel to a decent place for an affordable fee.
Little Mark
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke

#4 Post by Little Mark »

Hi Rarms, not sure if there is anywhere at Radnor, if there is it is low key and about an hour away from this site. There is a setup over by us that does 1 mile + field firing shoots across a valley but it is only private group booking and not cheap at that.

Hi DaveT, I started looking at this when we lost J3A at a couple of days notice last November and it it became apparent that these MOD issues were sadly not temporary. I think it will be viable to charge about £20 a day for guest shooting. We obviously have to do a lot of number crunching yet but that is where I think it will be at.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

I would be very interested and I know quite a few others who would be as well, especially if there is some steel plate type targets out to 500m+
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Whizzbang

#6 Post by Whizzbang »

Depending on location, I’d be interested.

Might be a suitable venue for future Precision Rifle League stage, by the sound of it.

Good luck.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#7 Post by WelshShooter »

Depending on whereabouts in Mid Wales, I would definitely be interested. I used to do all my long range shooting on Sennybridge F range, never got around to shooting on J3a range. I don't have any HME firearms (yet). I'd be interested in weekend range days due to full time work Monday - Friday.

Good luck!
leeroy7031
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

#8 Post by leeroy7031 »

If you can get this certified for .50BMG there could be quite a bit of interest ....

Many of us travelled to Sennbridge but we've not been on this range for sometime now.
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

leeroy7031 wrote:If you can get this certified for .50BMG there could be quite a bit of interest ....

Many of us travelled to Sennbridge but we've not been on this range for sometime now.
I'll be honest and say I haven't renewed my ODRC membership due to the loss of F Range and the fact that all the G Range shoots seem to be on a Sunday morning only, truth be told it's a bit of a jaunt just for a half day.

If another location in Mid Wales was available at a good price I could see it doing well.I have fancied a day at Orion but the price is too much for me.

I'm a member at Minsterley and I know there are a lot of people there that would relish the opportunity to shoot out to longer ranges.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#10 Post by Lancs Lad »

I would like to suggest that any new shooting facility with up to 600 yards distance available that is free from MOD control and charges reasonable prices within the UK is highly desirable. Gets my vote!

:flag13: LL