Doctors signature for applications and license renewals

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Re: Doctors signature for applications and license renewals

#61 Post by shugie »

I asked TVP about issues with contacting my GP at the moment, they were very helpful, but said the medical sign off was still necessary. They did mention Medcert, who seem to offer a discount for membership of some clubs, but I can't find anything about the NRA having negotiated a discount code with Medcert.

Does anyone know of such a discount code?
Careful now/that sort of thing
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#62 Post by GeeRam »

shugie wrote:I asked TVP about issues with contacting my GP at the moment, they were very helpful, but said the medical sign off was still necessary. They did mention Medcert, who seem to offer a discount for membership of some clubs, but I can't find anything about the NRA having negotiated a discount code with Medcert.

Does anyone know of such a discount code?
Don't think there is one?

Seems the new combined Surrey and West Sussex FET have also adopted the same medical sign off situation, as one of our club officials is going through renewal with Surrey at the moment, and his GP practice declined to do it on ethical grounds which left him in the lurch and although he's a NRA member, he ended up going via Medcert through BASC although he didn't mention any discount via BASC, but I didn't ask.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#63 Post by redcat »

Just had a quick look ant the MedCert website and it throws up a few of questions.

1. If my doctor has conscientious objections, why would he supply these guys with my information?

2. MedCert charge a flat fee of £50, part of which must go to my GP and perhaps also a cut to the "medical professional" at their end, with the remainder going into MedCert's coffers. So how little is a GP really willing to take?

3. How can this "group of friends" gain access to my medical records?

4. Are police forces really happy that this third party organisation could potentially have access to names and addresses of a large number of FAC holders?

5. Am I being a little paranoid?

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
RDC

#64 Post by RDC »

redcat wrote:Just had a quick look ant the MedCert website and it throws up a few of questions.

1. If my doctor has conscientious objections, why would he supply these guys with my information?

2. MedCert charge a flat fee of £50, part of which must go to my GP and perhaps also a cut to the "medical professional" at their end, with the remainder going into MedCert's coffers. So how little is a GP really willing to take?

3. How can this "group of friends" gain access to my medical records?

4. Are police forces really happy that this third party organisation could potentially have access to names and addresses of a large number of FAC holders?

5. Am I being a little paranoid?

Redcat
1. They are legally obliged to provide access to medical records. What you are paying for (and your doctor had possibly refused to to) is the interpretation of the medical records by a suitably qualified medical professional.

2. Medical record access is free. There are two laws and routes that cover access to them.

3. They can apply on your behalf. You provide them with signed consent to apply for your records.

4. It's bound by the same data protection tion as any other medical practice.

5. It's like trusting anyone with those details.
greentangerine
Home club or Range: Dorchester Rifle & Pistol Club

#65 Post by greentangerine »

I'm a member of both the NRA and NSRA and can't recall a mention of a discount from either.

I am also however a member of the CPSA and they do have such an arrangement - https://www.cpsa.co.uk/news/general/202 ... mbers/5354
lasbrisas
Home club or Range: Bisley

#66 Post by lasbrisas »

Mine is due for renewal in the next few months, I went to the doctors to hand in the form to see if they will accept it and was told there will be no paper handling in either direction so what ever I get done will have to be electronically.
Polchraine

#67 Post by Polchraine »

lasbrisas wrote: ... and was told there will be no paper handling in either direction ...
So, no cash and no cheque for them.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#68 Post by Lancs Lad »

A colleague of mine is going through the FAC renewal process here in Lancaster and had enquired through the local NHS Trust what he should do in relation to the medical report .
Basically, he had to download the appropriate forms from Lancs Constabulary and send them to his health centre where they were directed to a specific doctor who deals with these requests.
The form was duly completed, stamped and returned to my colleague within a week. No financial charge was applied for completing this service or even mentioned throughout this part of the process.
I'm aware that there are large variations throughout the country on how this medical report requirement issue is playing out but I thought it would be nice to share a bit of good news in these 'unusual' times.

Chin up folks

:flag13: LL