Moving house

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
@nd

Moving house

#1 Post by @nd »

Hi All.
I am hoping to move house shortly.
For the move I will put my rifle/ammunition into storage with a RFD.
I will be moving from one county’s firearms dept to another county’s firearm dept.
How does this work with licencing, I will have a current FAC but from a firearm licencing authority that I no longer live in.
I will notify both licencing authorities as soon as the move is confirmed,.
Will I have to wait for the FEO’s visit and get my new FAC before installing the safe and collecting my rifle or does the old FAC (which I have just renewed) still cover me??
Thanks @nd
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Moving house

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

it will depend on your new authority.
I had loads of trouble moving from beds to avon and somerset. I also lodged my guns because I had a gap of 2 months from selling one house before moving into my new house.
they moved everything off my licence to the disposed of category on the computer, and wouldn't issue me a new FAC from them until they visited, they also wouldn't let me move my guns in until this time.
cabinets were bolted in as soon as I moved in, that doesn't need police;'s permission and saved 2 trips.
once they visited and re-added all guns I owned to my FAC again, they then posted me out my ticket, which was wrong, so had to be returned, corrected and reissues, then I could go and collect my guns from Herts.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Chapuis

#3 Post by Chapuis »

I think that you are probably making a bit issue out of something that should be quite simple. As I understand it and unless it has changed all you need to do is inform the chief constable who issued your certificate of your change of address. Obviously you have a legal duty to ensure the safe secure storage of your firearms at your new address and during the actual moving process but that is entirely up to you. They will then contact you at some time in the future and inform you how they would like to proceed.

BASC used to have details of the process on their website so have a look to see if its still there or failing that just confirm the correct procedure with your shooting Organisation.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#4 Post by GeeRam »

@nd wrote:Hi All.
I am hoping to move house shortly.
For the move I will put my rifle/ammunition into storage with a RFD.
I will be moving from one county’s firearms dept to another county’s firearm dept.
How does this work with licencing, I will have a current FAC but from a firearm licencing authority that I no longer live in.
I will notify both licencing authorities as soon as the move is confirmed,.
Will I have to wait for the FEO’s visit and get my new FAC before installing the safe and collecting my rifle or does the old FAC (which I have just renewed) still cover me??
Thanks @nd
You only need to notify your current Police FET team, stating date of move and address moving to.
They will contact new Police FET team and forward to them your file and details.
The new force FET will then make contact with you to discuss what they want, in terms of visit etc.

I moved 6 months ago, and after I moved I had an issue with safe install and had to rethink my options, and so I was contacted by the new FEO to arrange home visit before I had installed my safe. He was OK and said once I had done so, and collected my guns from RFD, and then call him to arrange the home visit. Unfortunately, I only managed to collect my guns from my RFD a few weeks before lockdown started, and FEO wasn't doing home visits so we had a long interview on the phone instead, and he issued me my new certs a couple of days afterwards.

Each force is different though.
@nd

#5 Post by @nd »

Thanks Chaps
That seems easy enough, i'll let you know how it goes.
:good: :good:
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

Yep jumped borders a few times in last few years. Just tell existing County the new details and new county will get in touch in due course.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#7 Post by shugie »

Does the same apply to moving to Scotland?
Careful now/that sort of thing
Chapuis

#8 Post by Chapuis »

shugie wrote:Does the same apply to moving to Scotland?
Other than in respect to air rifles why would you think that Scotland should be any different?