Condemned by closed minds - BASC

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Condemned by closed minds - BASC

#1 Post by Christel »

https://basc.org.uk/blog/offbeat/condem ... -243470521

Interesting - now you who live in the Liverpool area know how the council approach shooting.
But the direction of travel was set long before councillors took their seats in the gilded chamber for the non-debate. There was to be no budging from the loaded rhetoric of the motion which was passed without dissent and now has Liverpool City Council officially labelling all who shoot as ‘barbaric’ and interested only in wiping out ‘threatened species’.
Please do not think the council will stop there, this is all shooting that is under threat from Liverpool Council.
Remember that at the polling stations.
AL8

Re: Condemned by closed minds - BASC

#2 Post by AL8 »

have posted on another forum I am on
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

AL8 goodjob

Spread the word.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

I can think of a few "threatened species" that could do with wiping out. teanews
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

I have emailed my MP (Conservative) to ask for his opinion of what Joe Anderson (Labour) has been saying.... If I get a response I will let you know.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#6 Post by Fedaykin »

christel wrote:
Please do not think the council will stop there, this is all shooting that is under threat from Liverpool Council.
Remember that at the polling stations.
I would disagree with that statement, Liverpool City Council is not a threat to all shooting. They are not the national Government and only have control over facilities they own or licence within the boundaries of Liverpool. A Law Abiding Gun Owner going about their lawful day to day business at a shooting range in the Area should have nothing to fear from Liverpool City Council.

In the end this is Liverpool City Council taking up the petty Gesture Politics they were so keen on in the bad days of 'Militant Tendency' during the 1980's. It was silly then and is silly now.

They should be rightly and politely condemned for the silly Gesture Politics they are getting up to but declaring that they somehow a threat to all shooting gives an unnecessary impression about the law that the Antis can make use of in their campaigning. The Antis are attempting to make shooting appear to be somehow sordid and outside of normal behaviour we need to push back on that not respond with over the top statements.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Chuck

#7 Post by Chuck »

Why not use OTT statements - that's what the antinuts do?!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Fedaykin,

Do you really think your sport (if you reside in the Liverpool area) is supported/developed with the attitude the council is displaying?

Do you think they will support bell target shooting in pubs?
Bench rest shooting which some handicapped people are very involved in.
Cadets?
Schools?

Not a chance. (Happy to be proven wrong)

Those disciplines are by the way very often how youngsters join the world of shooting.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#9 Post by Fedaykin »

No I don't think Liverpool City Council are supportive of Shooting but we also shouldn't exaggerator their affect on shooting.

The response to them should be rational and if they attempt to do something that is outside the law when it comes to hindering our sport they should be challenged legally by the representative shooting organisations.

"Do you think they will support bell target shooting in pubs?" - No but that is a dying part of the sport, I don't see it having a long term chance of survival due to the lack of interest from Pub Landlords.

"Bench rest shooting which some handicapped people are very involved in." - If they hinder that they can be challenged legally via the Disabilities act and publicly embarrassed via the media.

"Cadets?" - The various Cadet organisations are doing a very good job of killing off shooting for Cadets themselves without the help of Liverpool City Council.

"Schools?" - How many schools shoot these days?
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

Fedaykin wrote: "Cadets?" - The various Cadet organisations are doing a very good job of killing off shooting for Cadets themselves without the help of Liverpool City Council.

"Schools?" - How many schools shoot these days?
Cadets, loads shooting nearly every weekend just north of Liverpool at Altcar.

Schools, quite a few grammar schools.