'Good reason' for an AKM?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
BeerBelly
Home club or Range: Middlewick

'Good reason' for an AKM?

#1 Post by BeerBelly »

Having shot a mate's SKS, I have a hankering for something in 7.62x39, and I'd like an AK.

My only concern is that I already have a 7.62x54r, and the police likely won't understand the major differences between the two. What should I put as my good reason? My 54r is under target shooting so I was wondering if I could put the 39 as civilian service rifle, as it technically is one? Or should I just put it as target shooting too and hope for the best?
Gazza

Re: 'Good reason' for an AKM?

#2 Post by Gazza »

Vermin control lol
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I think the police licencing will be aware of the difference between the two calibers.
Just ask for it for target shooting I have both. No issues.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

Alpha1 wrote:I think the police licencing will be aware of the difference between the two calibers.
Just ask for it for target shooting I have both. No issues.

This...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#5 Post by snayperskaya »

Just put it down for target shooting as that is your good reason, and most forces will understand the difference between 7.62x54r and 7.62x39.

I have currently got three 7.62x54r slots and one 7.62x39 slot filled and have empty slots for two more 7.62x54r rifles and one for another 7.62x39 rifle, all for target shooting.....at one point I had three 54r slots and three 7.62x39 slots filled with no problem whatsoever.

An old pic, also had an AK-103 at the time that isn't in the group....
15x65og.jpg
Here it is......
357jyi1.jpg
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

They're clearly different calibres, even the most obtuse FLD shouldn't have a problem with just 'target shooting'.
DVC
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#7 Post by froggy »

Nice photo Tovarich Snayperskaya.
I have one of each , both for target practice that I justified with shooting distances & ammo cost ratio . No prob & actually perfectly logical .
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

"Target Shooting"?

If questioned you can give an explanation as to the different type of target shooting you will be doing with it.

But what is your good reason? Put that down.

You mention CSR, would you be shooting CSR with it? CSR is a discipline not a rifle, the AKM is not a civilian service rifle but is suitable for shooting CSR.
The fact you are asking the original question on here does hint at that you have no real reason to own other than just wanting it and if this is the case it would be wise to get a valid good reason (of your own - not a forum consensus) before you are possibly asked a question. Declaring a reason and then having no idea of the hows and wherefores of the discipline is the sure way to look silly in front of the FEO.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#9 Post by Geek »

I would just state target shooting, it doesn't need to be any specific discipline or even competition.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

Geek wrote:I would just state target shooting, it doesn't need to be any specific discipline or even competition.
This.

The least elaboration the better - otherwise you might dig a hole for yourself.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."