'Good reason' for an AKM?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

Re: 'Good reason' for an AKM?

#11 Post by ukrifleman »

I was asked once by my local FEO why I needed so many firearms, my reply was ` why does a golfer need so many clubs`?!
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#12 Post by IainWR »

ukrifleman wrote:I was asked once by my local FEO why I needed so many firearms, my reply was ` why does a golfer need so many clubs`?!
You could have tried " the law does not require me to have a need, just a good reason".
SevenSixTwo

#13 Post by SevenSixTwo »

'It saves wear and tear on your other rifles'.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by IainWR »

SevenSixTwo wrote:'It saves wear and tear on your other rifles'.
Given that, according to the Guidance, not wanting to wear out old and / or valuable firearms is a valid explanation for not having met the "say three or more times a year" usage guidance in connection with "target shooting" as "good reason", that may even stand up to scrutiny!
jimbo303

#15 Post by jimbo303 »

Our (now retired) FEO appeared at a Club AGM some years ago.

When politely asked if he wanted to input anything for the benefit of the membership on TVP and their procedures etc. the usage point was raised.

He vehemently stated several times that "By Law" you have to use each Firearm a minimum of 3 times a year, and it was confirmed in the latest Guidelines that he stated were "Law". No one questioned or challenged him as we knew better and he was on his way to pastures new but he was also known to elaborate and waffle for hours at visits - and I mean average for me was 2 + Hours. No wonder he only managed a max of 3 per day and the department wa so behind !

This stance was also taken by TVP on a colleague's renewal shortly after the "Guidelnes" were published, where during the very much latter part of his FAC's 5 year term he took possesion of one of his fathers rifles. They stated he had not used the "minimum 3 times per year as required" so would not allow the slot on his ticket at renewal. The colleague concerned then went back fully over his Ticket and produced a rather detailed response stating the exact date took possesion in the 5 year term, the amount of usage from that exact date until the date the objection was raised and pro-rata'd across the time the usage on an annual basis which showed he met the 3 timers per annum comfortably - and to slightly cock a snoop he made specific reference to including the 29th February to skew against him ! He did write directly to the Chief Constable and the matter was resolved.

They seem to have got over this issue now and I have not had it raised nor have other shooting colleagues - the reference to valuable and historic firearms is a good reason for lower usage and has been taken as acceptable, when looking at other Firearms usage.
The key thing is that you shoot regularly - wether it be smallbore weekly and Fullbore on a regular basis at Meetings or Club shoots. I personally believe that in the lifecycles of many FAC's over the last 10 years in particuar - those FAC's held by people who rarely shot and were unable to show regular participation and "good reason" have been done away with. Personally I have not had it mentioned to me or heard from colleagues so long as regular participation is demonstrated the actual usage of each seems to have gone slightly off the radar.....
J
James84

#16 Post by James84 »

I have had a couple of back and forth's with my licensing department when I have requested another slot for a same calibre firearm.

First thing I will say, is you don't need a 'good reason for an AKM', but rather a good reason for a 7.62x39. I have 2 x39 and 3 x54r. My good reason for another x39 was that I wanted to shoot one at longer range with a different site setup (optics) and the other was threaded for moderator, so I use that exclusively for shorter range with a PBS and subsonic loads. As long as my reason is valid interest/purpose, I haven't had any problems. I explain as shortly and sweetly as possible, why I want another of the same.

One thing I have found that has really helped is that I have 2 clear collections going. I spoke this through with my FEO and he fully supports it, having noted it on my file. One of them is for British service rifles as I have one of every rifle issued to the British Army, pre semi/fully auto (Baker, Enfield, Snider, Martini, Lee Enfield(s)) and likewise, my Soviet collection is close behind. I am an avid military rifle shooter and my preference is for older service rifles. Because of this, I believe (rightly or not) that when I ask for a variation for another rifle that follows this theme, it is taken into account.

If you have an interest in military service rifles, tell them.
SevenSixTwo

#17 Post by SevenSixTwo »

It’s all bo...cks.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
69chris
Home club or Range: severnside

#18 Post by 69chris »

my AKM is on my ticket for fox and AOLQ
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

69chris wrote:my AKM is on my ticket for fox and AOLQ
Funny enough the chap I had my Dragunov off had that on his ticket for deer, he had a couple with it too!.

To be honest I have just submitted my 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 variation requests as rifles for target shooting and have never been asked to elaborate on that.I put in a request for another 7.62x39 slot and received a phone call that was just to tell me I had forget to put a cheque for £20 in with the application to cover the admin fee!, only time I have seen my FLO in person was for the interview for my initial grant and since then I've changed address and had a renewal......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Gazza

#20 Post by Gazza »

[quote="snayperskaya"][/quote]
To be honest I have just submitted my 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 variation requests as rifles for target shooting and have never been asked to elaborate on that.I put in a request for another 7.62x39 slot and received a phone call that was just to tell me I had forget to put a cheque for £20 in with the application to cover the admin fee!, only time I have seen my FLO in person was for the interview for my initial grant and since then I've changed address and had a renewal......

That's one of the perks of being an assassin ;) :p