Mass shooting victims can sue gun manufacturer!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Mass shooting victims can sue gun manufacturer!

#11 Post by Pete »

Maybe it's what can happen when thick kids get hooked on video games, industry spots an opportunity to "monetise" them............it'll be interesting to see if it gets very far.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#12 Post by Webley »

Pete wrote:Maybe it's what can happen when thick kids get hooked on video games, industry spots an opportunity to "monetise" them............it'll be interesting to see if it gets very far.

Pete
Yes, computer games. Totally responsible. That is why millions of people play them and don't end up going on a mass shooting. They are games, not mind twisting, hypnotic, psycho producing programs. If mass shooters all had scrabble board games in their houses would you be happy with them going after the manufacturer? Maybe they learnt to many words for murder and killing and it pushed them over the edge? Correlation does not equal causation.

At least Marilyn Manson and Eminem are getting a break from copping the blame I guess. They seem to have generally moved on to drill and trap stars now although not in this case.

Computer games display scifi, current or historical guns as they always have. I wonder which way round it goes? Do the software houses pay firearm manufacturers for using their products likeness in a game or as it seems to be claimed do they pay for product placement? Does it matter?

The advert slogan of "reclaim your man card" ( I think that is the correct wording ), that is also being cited against Remmington as somehow promoting violence. This is also ridiculous, all men don't go on shooting sprees. It largely seems to be a small number of messed up teenagers.
The issue is however, now that Remington have to pay to defend themselves from a baseless lawsuit. When enough of these suits get to court it will make the gun companies either go bust or stop selling to the public. The US war on 2A has another front.

Matt
Pete
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Pete »

I didn't say totally responsible, I said what can happen, ie is possible, when thick kids, not all kids, and thick adults, evidently, start wrecking their heads with the rubbish.

Having said that, I quite enjoyed Lemmings, back in the day...........

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
MistAgain

#14 Post by MistAgain »

Pete wrote:I didn't say totally responsible, I said what can happen, ie is possible, when thick kids, not all kids, and thick adults, evidently, start wrecking their heads with the rubbish.

Having said that, I quite enjoyed Lemmings, back in the day...........

Pete
And how many of these thick kids and thick adults have been taking drugs of some sort ?
Pete
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Pete »

Probably not that many............drugs would probably take the edge off the concentration required to wipe out whole armies with a joystick.

Pete
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#16 Post by Daryll »

I've been playing "First Person Shooter" computer games since the late 80s, and never had the urge to do a mass shooting...

On the US shooting forums there is a lot is discussion about this... most seem to think it won't go far, but agree that the only winners will be lawyers...
Pete
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Pete »

Daryll, I did say "thick"...........

Pete
Christel
Site Admin

#18 Post by Christel »

Not really anything to do with Lawyers..they are just doing their job.

Nor Remington...

Just grieving people who can't let go and have to blame someone/something.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#19 Post by bradaz11 »

From what I've seen, the supreme court has set no precedent, they just didn't deny the local courts objection. So they can attempt to sue, but the judge can still throw it out at court.
Also it seems the shooter didn't seem to actually use an ar15, he just had one with him in his car, but instead used pistols
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#20 Post by Daryll »

Pete wrote:Daryll, I did say "thick"...........

Pete
I'll take that as a complement.. :D