Otterburn ranges info required.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Otterburn ranges info required.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I know this has been mentioned before but bare with me.
I'm currently booking 2020 ranges. I have been asked to try and get some longer ranges. The firing point is full of Ruger Precision type rifles nowadays. 100 yards does not cut it anymore.
I know some of the guys on here use Otterburn so would you share your knowledge of the available ranges with me please and the distances you can shoot.
I have never been to Otterburn.
Is anyone using Battle Hill range if so can you advise me on an average cost for a full day shooting. By pm if you wish. Probably don't want to be debating cost on the forum.

These ranges are all MOD ranges in the North-East by the way.
GarethM
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: St Georges RPC and Tyne Valley (both using Ponteland Range)

Re: Otterburn ranges info required.

#2 Post by GarethM »

The ETR range is available weekdays at Otterburn. About 10 or 12 firing points over 100, 200, and 300 yards (you can mix and match distances at the same time).

I understand that DIO are work in out traces, but they won't be ready for a while.
Gareth
No matter how much you push the envelope,
it will always remain stationary.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I can book ranges that are 600 yards. I was looking for greater distances 1000 yards would be nice. The Club is full of Ruger Precision rifles. Accuracy International. Bergara's etc in all the fashionable calibers up to .338 Lapua Magnum.
They want to get the full potential from there toys and are badgering me to find longer ranges. They go to Bisley twice a year and compete in comps. So they are keen to hone their skills before making the trip.
Anyway, any info would be appreciated.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#4 Post by Lancs Lad »

Alpha1 wrote:I can book ranges that are 600 yards. I was looking for greater distances 1000 yards would be nice. The Club is full of Ruger Precision rifles. Accuracy International. Bergara's etc in all the fashionable calibers up to .338 Lapua Magnum.
They want to get the full potential from there toys and are badgering me to find longer ranges. They go to Bisley twice a year and compete in comps. So they are keen to hone their skills before making the trip.
Anyway, any info would be appreciated.

Have you considered Diggle?

:flag13: LL
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

I shot at Diggle for the first time a couple of years ago during a Leica exhibition. I seriously contemplated, for the first time since leaving my home town of Newcastle in 1986, moving back “up North” so I join and use it regularly!

The wife had other things to say on that front....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#6 Post by Lever357 »

As far as I am aware, the only ranges at Otterburn where you can shoot out to 800 or 900 yards are the field of fire ranges with the drop down targets - which civilians appear to be banned from now!!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
The Gun Pimp

#7 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha - why don't you have a drive over to Diggle one Thursday?

Come and have a chat with me and a look around.

We shoot most disciplines here at all ranges out to 1000 yards.

You keep speculating about other ranges but you're not shooting! Come and shoot.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Alpha - why don't you have a drive over to Diggle one Thursday?

Come and have a chat with me and a look around.

We shoot most disciplines here at all ranges out to 1000 yards.

You keep speculating about other ranges but you're not shooting! Come and shoot.
Thanks for the offer I will try and get over.
Currently, I shoot two weekends a month on MOD ranges and two weekends on Barack ranges. I have access to a 25-yard outdoor range 7 days a week from 10:00 until dusk. I have access to an indoor 25-yard range 5 nights a week. I run one of the nights as an underlever night. The Club is also open on a Saturday and Sunday. I am the Club secretary of my primary Club and on the committee of my other club, I am the MOD liason/booking officer. I book all the MOD ranges for both clubs. I am not short on shooting venues. The club members are bending my ear to locate long-range shoots for them. I'm good.
Oh, I nearly forgot Clay pidgeon on a Sunday.
Between the two Clubs, we get to shoot most disciplines underlever, black powder, practical shotgun, .22 etc. etc.
So pretty busy shooting wise really. The guys just want some longer ranges to keep there hand in between the trips to Bisley to shoot in comps. I'm just trying to accommodate them.
GarethM
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: St Georges RPC and Tyne Valley (both using Ponteland Range)

#9 Post by GarethM »

Lever357 wrote:As far as I am aware, the only ranges at Otterburn where you can shoot out to 800 or 900 yards are the field of fire ranges with the drop down targets - which civilians appear to be banned from now!!
You are right, which is why I advised that you can shoot at 100, 200 and 300 yards at the moment
Gareth
No matter how much you push the envelope,
it will always remain stationary.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

GarethM wrote:
Lever357 wrote:As far as I am aware, the only ranges at Otterburn where you can shoot out to 800 or 900 yards are the field of fire ranges with the drop down targets - which civilians appear to be banned from now!!
You are right, which is why I advised that you can shoot at 100, 200 and 300 yards at the moment
Gareth
100, 200, and 300 yards are not what they want. Looks like I will stick with Catterick for now. Thanks any way.