Attempted Import of AR-15 from US

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Attempted Import of AR-15 from US

#1 Post by Blackstuff »

Nice try idiots(!)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... orida.html

Two 'foolish' British holidaymakers who posted an AR15 assault rifle home from Florida have been jailed. The crime was described by police as 'a foolish and blatant attempt to import a potentially lethal weapon into the country'.

Carlos Sen, 26, and half-brother, Stephen Gibson, 46, were convicted along with their partners, Rebekah Simons, 25, and Louise Caswell, 39, of conspiring to import and possess a firearm at Nottingham Crown Court. Sen was yesterday jailed for three years and Gibson for two years. Simons and Caswell were handed suspended sentences of 21 months and 15 months respectively.

The National Crime Agency began investigating in June 2017 after Homeland Security agents in the US intercepted a package about to be shipped to Caswell to an address in Retford, Nottinghamshire. It contained the lower receiver, barrel shroud, magazines and stock of the AR15, the model used in every one of America's mass shootings from the 2012 attack on a cinema in Aurora, Colorado, to the killings of pupils in Parkland, Florida last year.

NCA officers, working with Border Force, also intercepted a second package in the UK which contained the barrel of the rifle and was also addressed to Caswell. The group had attempted to disguise the packages as personal fishing equipment, and included a fishing rod reel along with the barrel.

Investigators discovered that while in Florida, Sen and Simons, both of Retford, Notts, recruited a US resident to purchase the weapon on their behalf from a legitimate firearms collector. They then worked with Caswell and Gibson to send it back to the UK in parts. Days after the importation, Caswell and Gibson were arrested by NCA officers at their home in West Drayton, London. Investigators established they were able to go on the trip, despite being unemployed, as it had been paid for by Sen.

Sen, who also had no legitimate source of income but claimed to be a professional gambler, subsequently fled to Italy. He was arrested, along with Simons, a nursery nurse, after returning to the UK. Prior to his arrest, Sen destroyed his sim card and deleted the contents of his phone. During the trial, he claimed he did so to remove evidence of a one night stand he had in Italy. In a bid to defend their actions, the group told the jury they had wanted to go shooting on their trip but heard it was expensive. Sen therefore arranged to purchase the firearm, with a US citizen, for around $450 to save them money.

However, enquiries made as part of the investigation showed it costs around $20 to hire a rifle at a shooting range in Florida. Adam Warnock, NCA Branch Commander, said: 'This group made a foolish and blatant attempt to import a potentially lethal weapon into the country.

'Although gun crime in the UK remains relatively low compared to the US or mainland Europe, we know illegal firearms are used in acts of serious violence and by crime groups to coerce and intimidate. 'Working with international partners in countries where these weapons are legal and supressing their availability in the UK is a priority for the NCA. 'Post and fast parcels remain one of the most popular methods of illegally importing firearms into the UK, and this is also something we, along with Border Force, are actively targeting.'

Would be interesting to find out how they managed to buy the lower recevier
DVC
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Attempted Import of AR-15 from US

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

At least the article didn't shamelessly quote how many firearms are held legally in the UK in a not so subtle attempt to claim that they are the problem.

This story, along with others, proves that it is easier to illegally import than to go the legal route of gaining an FAC for the wrong reasons. It is undeniable proof that our laws work as they are and don't need to be made stricter.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#3 Post by Fedaykin »

Blackstuff wrote:
Would be interesting to find out how they managed to buy the lower recevier
A private sale, what is commonly erroneously called the 'Gun Show Loophole'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eN9hJLkbwE
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Fedaykin

#4 Post by Fedaykin »

The thing for me in respect to how dumb they were is that they tried to do it from the US via the Post system. That was clearly not going to work out for them!

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
Fedaykin

#5 Post by Fedaykin »

The thing for me in respect to how dumb they were is that they tried to do it from the US via the Post system. That was clearly not going to work out for them!

If it was me (of course I wouldn't but speaking in the hypothetical) I would look to source the gun or gun parts from a Country within the EU with the most lax regulation then bring it back via other methods through the ferry terminals.

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
BamBam

#6 Post by BamBam »

Molon Labe on the lower, well they took it alright.
Chuck

#7 Post by Chuck »

Morons of the highest order!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

#8 Post by GlockworkOrange »

I thought it funny that half of the parts they tried to send back could have been bought here legally with no FAC.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#9 Post by Andy632 »

He'd have been better off sending them by reefer container, got a 2 in 3 chance of getting it through then.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.