Warminster weapons trial Pair guilty over stolen army rifle.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

Re: Warminster weapons trial Pair guilty over stolen army ri

#11 Post by David TS »

There is, as can be expected (and I say that having spent two days in the public gallery at the trial last week), much more to this than is in just a BBC link!
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#12 Post by Strangely Brown »

Alan D wrote: There are persistent rumours of L96's in public ownership however, if anyone has one on their FAC, they can expect a call from MOD plod at some point and they better have done their due diligence!

Much the same as the rounding up of L98's, even with proof of purchase and evidence they were actually available for public sale back in the day....

Some were sold to the police marked up as L96A1 rifles and sold off quite legitimately, in fact there was one next to me on Century the other week.
Edited to add: another was sold at auction in Germany last year.
Mick
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

#13 Post by David TS »

Strangely Brown wrote:
Alan D wrote: There are persistent rumours of L96's in public ownership however, if anyone has one on their FAC, they can expect a call from MOD plod at some point and they better have done their due diligence!

Much the same as the rounding up of L98's, even with proof of purchase and evidence they were actually available for public sale back in the day....

Some were sold to the police marked up as L96A1 rifles and sold off quite legitimately, in fact there was one next to me on Century the other week.
Edited to add: another was sold at auction in Germany last year.

Mick

Indeed, I had I expect the very same rifle that you saw on Century in the back of my mind when I saw Alan's post.
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#14 Post by Alan D »

The problem Mick and David, is that MOD Plod will likely strike at dawn and take them anyway!

Probably on the excuse that they are crown property and should never have been sold in the first place, I keep hearing (very persistent) rumours that the L96 is very much on the hit list next for MOD Plods next great Spanish Inquisition...
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#15 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote:They found Laidler and Smith guilty second time around. I do wonder if Laider will get a custodial sentence
He got 3 years today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -guns.html
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well now I am really confused, 3 years so out in 15-18 months for the theft of firearms including a Hi power and SA80 as well as what looks to be an L96. What happened to the mandatory 5 years for such offences?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
RDC

#17 Post by RDC »

If one thing I have learned, it's that the mandatory 5 years, aint.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#18 Post by Mattnall »

I believe the HiPower was a deact, the SA80 in the pic looks like it might be a DP, no idea on the L96.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#19 Post by Strangely Brown »

Mattnall wrote:I believe the HiPower was a deact, the SA80 in the pic looks like it might be a DP, no idea on the L96.
I rather think they got him on theft regarding the Browning HiPower; which I notice the press are calling a high powered pistol!
Mick
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#20 Post by Mattnall »

Strangely Brown wrote: I rather think they got him on theft regarding the Browning HiPower; which I notice the press are calling a high powered pistol!
There was a case earlier this year where police said charges related "to three 0.22 calibre semi-automatic rifles .... Eight long rifles were also alleged to be in his possession".

Looks like the same journalist with poor grasp of firearms and calibres wrote both stories, or they just grabbed the most evil sounding words and phrases to make a story seem worse and not realise their mistake.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.