Why do we get screwed?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

Why do we get screwed?

#1 Post by Gazza »

Ive just bought a Lee buckshot mould at 56 quid and then realised I needed handles for the mould as its a pig to use without which are sold separately at 15 quid.
A grand total give or take a few bob at 71 quid wtf
A very similar mould for fishing leads is 20 quid wallhead
Why is the cost of this hobby so extortionate?
A red or green powder funnel is 8 quid when a similar funnel at the pound shop which is neither red or green is, well, a pound. wallhead
I could go on and probably will later :D
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

Re: Why do we get screwed?

#2 Post by strangesam »

At least for some of that it tolerances/materials.

A bullet mold needs to be accurate to a few thousandths of an inch. One for Fishing weights can be a few hundredths.

A good powder funnel should be made of an antistatic (conductive) plastic. The pound shop one doesnt' need to be, a static spark is less of an issue for measuring cooking ingredients.

The one that annoys me is $15 magazines costing £40 here.

(Edit, noticed shot mold not bullet, true that doesn't need to be quite as accurate dimensionally, but it must be spherical to a high level of accuracy or the shot wont be.)
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Excellent post from Sam and I echo his sentiments.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Graham M

#4 Post by Graham M »

Rip off...................

This made me feel like crying.:o

https://www.calvertsporting.co.uk/shop/ ... pod-stool/
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Graham M wrote:Rip off...................

Only an idiot would pay that serves them right.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:
Graham M wrote:Rip off...................

Only an idiot would pay that serves them right.
But if you were the sort of person that drives to a shoot in something like a Bentley Bentayga you'd think nothing of it.....it is all subjective.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

Gazza wrote: A red or green powder funnel is 8 quid when a similar funnel at the pound shop which is neither red or green is, well, a pound.
strangesam wrote: A good powder funnel should be made of an antistatic (conductive) plastic. The pound shop one doesnt' need to be, a static spark is less of an issue for measuring cooking ingredients.
Just taking that as an example - yes, it required a different plastic, however the actual incremental cost of that plastic is maybe just a few pence. So, yes more expensve, but at most it should translate to 50% or maybe even 100% and not teh rip-off pricing that does occur.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by Pippin89 »

Polchraine wrote:
Gazza wrote: A red or green powder funnel is 8 quid when a similar funnel at the pound shop which is neither red or green is, well, a pound.
strangesam wrote: A good powder funnel should be made of an antistatic (conductive) plastic. The pound shop one doesnt' need to be, a static spark is less of an issue for measuring cooking ingredients.
Just taking that as an example - yes, it required a different plastic, however the actual incremental cost of that plastic is maybe just a few pence. So, yes more expensve, but at most it should translate to 50% or maybe even 100% and not teh rip-off pricing that does occur.
As someone who designs moulded components, its not quite that simple.

As the demand for anti-static ones is much smaller, the tool used for it will be much smaller with less cavities. Meaning an operator stood at a mould press with a 10 minute cure time will produce maybe 12 per lift instead of 48. That means the labour price is higher as well as the cost of the material. And in those numbers labour and press fees are driving the cost more than the material itself. Lower cavity tools also have higher flash (wasted material) rates etc. And some fillers to make plastics flame resistant and anti static can be extremely expensive. We have 2 identical rubber compounds but one has a filler to make it compliant to an EN flammability standard... The compliant rubber costs us 3 times what the normal rubber does. And its terrible at its job frankly....

You then have some risk cost which the company moulding them is undoubtedly adding in as, if it did catch fire somehow, they would be liable. They offset that risk with a higher base cost. Add in some economy of scale factoring and its not hard to see how a £1 item suddenly becomes £6 or £7 consumer price. I agree though, that £15 is pushing it somewhat....
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by Pete »

I use these https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-smi ... funnel-set , £30...............................just sayin' :run:

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#10 Post by Geek »

Pete wrote:I use these https://www.lymanproducts.com/brass-smi ... funnel-set , £30...............................just sayin' :run:

Pete

Me too, they are very good.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S