Shared Security

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Shared Security

#1 Post by TattooedGun »

Apologies for regurgitating more of the same, I used the search function and also google, but to no avail.

My wife is applying for her firearms/shotgun certificates, after being involved in shooting at our club for a number of years, she's finally decided to apply for her own licence and have her own firearms to compete with, so they can be tailored to her 5'3" needs as opposed to my 6'2" needs...

It would be most convenient for us to use the same ammo and gun safes in the house, and she has the same full club membership needed to own all of my firearms, so my question is this;

How feasible is it that we can both share custody of the firearms in the cabinet so I don't have to consider another safe and ammo safe, which I would struggle to fit into our house. Further, if we do, does anyone here have an example of wording which might present itself on a certificate?

I'm sure I've read previously that there can be a condition added to a certificate that allows possession of rifles and ammunition notated on licence XXXX, as opposed to having to have a slot for every rifle in the cabinet on both certificates, which would become tiresome to get updated each time one of us bought or sold a firearm.

Any links to official guidance on this matter, or conditions you yourself have got that I may use as evidence (with personal details redacted of course) would be most helpful to present a reasonable case to our FEO, should they decide to make life difficult.

Thanks in advance

TG
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Shared Security

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

This came up recently when a father was asking about him and his son applying. You will find it in the newbie section!

The answer was that you will have a wording on your certificate along the lines of "you may have in your possession firearms listed on certificate number xxx". Someone helpfully posted a picture of the wording (cert numbers blanked out obviously...)

Shotguns obviously aren't a problem!
Pippin89

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Please note that not all forces approve of this arrangement with shared access.

Lincolnshire says no - South Yorkshire says yes - and so on.

Some forces have a mirrored FAC which is a ball ache when a variation is sought - some use the "you may have in your possession firearms listed on certificate number xxx" as Pippin89 mentioned which is by far the best way to go.

However some forces are dead against it...no idea why.
In my opinion it makes a lot of sense if both are on the way in the same car to a club event/competition and petrol has to be filled in the car.

Somebody has to pay for the petrol leaving the other alone with both sets of guns...
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

If you are expecting common sense from the powers-that-be when it comes to firearms, you are going to have a very long and frustrating wait.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#6 Post by 450 Martini »

Staffordshire and west midlands are fine with myself, my younger brother and my father sharing section 1 firearms. We both have a separate ammunition entitlement that we keep in a communal ammunition store.
The rifles are listed on both of our certificates and we also have the Condition:
The .303 rifle serial number XXXXXX, The .22 Rifle serial number XXXXXX To which this certificate relates shall be borrowed as and when required from Mr XXXXX XXXXXXX Holder of Loamshire Police Firearm Certificate: F123456789.
shotgun sam

#7 Post by shotgun sam »

Not a problem I share the same guns as my son on the licence, it seemed the best method as he is registered blind and at that time was still at school so if any work needed done on his guns I could not take them during the week.
I spoke to the feo about this and we ended up having all the guns listed on each others licence.
The added advantage is there is a 2 year gap between our renewal so if one takes to long we do not have to put the guns into a dealer until it is sorted out.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#8 Post by Pete »

Same here........we have all our rifles on both certificates, and there's a year between our FAC renewals.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by bnz41 »

No problem in Essex we have had access and use of each others firearms for years, we also have separate ammunition entitlement that we keep in a communal ammunition store. Most full bore rifles it's 800 rounds each.
Pippin89

#10 Post by Pippin89 »

christel wrote: In my opinion it makes a lot of sense if both are on the way in the same car to a club event/competition and petrol has to be filled in the car.

Somebody has to pay for the petrol leaving the other alone with both sets of guns...
Or the one paying has to take their guns in with them...... :o