Air Rifles from USA

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

Air Rifles from USA

#1 Post by Polchraine »

Has anyone any experience of bringing back an air rifle from the USA.

There is a lot greater choice oiut there and prices are much better ... and as I wiull be flying back in October thought I could bring one back. So far, enquiries with BA (by phone) have given what seen to be incredible answers and I am awaiting a formal reaponse from them. Everything is based around items requiring an FAC or SGC and related security.

Purchase and ownership out there is not an issue. I can pack it as part of my normal baggage allowance and then, just to be "clean", declare it to TSA (if required) and UK customs.

Any ideas or links?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Eastmids-HD
Home club or Range: Wedgenock Warwick

Re: Air Rifles from USA

#2 Post by Eastmids-HD »

I had a similar situation on my other gun forum. A chap from the states wanted to buy one of my rifles and was certain that it could be easily done.

Long story short, it wasn't, import taxes, certificates, RFD's, couriers... All has their bit to say and want to take.

I gave up in the end. Europe isn't too bad but Canada and the States is a whole nother kettle of fish
CZ455 22 LR
Tikka T3 22 250
Anschutz 1813 Supermatch

more to come
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

Couple of things to look out for.

A lot of US air rifles are over the 12 FtLb limit so would be a firearm over here.

Most airlines treat anything pistol/rifle shaped as a firearm, so coming back from the USA it would have to be fully declared to the airline etc. and packed in an airline approved hard case fitted with TSA locks. As it would be classed as "sporting goods/firearms" you're probably looking at an additional £35-£55 for baggage charges depending who you fly with.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Polchraine

#4 Post by Polchraine »

phaedra1106 wrote:Couple of things to look out for.

A lot of US air rifles are over the 12 FtLb limit so would be a firearm over here.

Most airlines treat anything pistol/rifle shaped as a firearm, so coming back from the USA it would have to be fully declared to the airline etc. and packed in an airline approved hard case fitted with TSA locks. As it would be classed as "sporting goods/firearms" you're probably looking at an additional £35-£55 for baggage charges depending who you fly with.
Looking at the sub-12s for a child so not an FAC item. And I will make sure too!

Flying BA and their website is not clear and customer service even less.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

I enquired to Virgin Atlantic a year or 2 back about this... like BA they treat anything as a Firearm, so it has to be in its own lockable transport case, and you have to pay the extra baggage charge.

I was thinking about bringing a CO2 rifle, but by the time I'd bought a suitable case, and paid the extra baggage charge, it would be cheaper to buy in the UK.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#6 Post by Les »

Polchraine wrote:Looking at the sub-12s for a child so not an FAC item. And I will make sure too!

Flying BA and their website is not clear and customer service even less.
I'm sure you've probably seen these already, but the BSA Ultra JSR is a great starter rifle - albeit a PCP - for a junior shooter. Shop around, and you should find one for between £300 - 350 new.

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/air ... -ultra-jsr
Polchraine

#7 Post by Polchraine »

Les wrote:
Polchraine wrote:
I'm sure you've probably seen these already, but the BSA Ultra JSR is a great starter rifle - albeit a PCP - for a junior shooter. Shop around, and you should find one for between £300 - 350 new.

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/air ... -ultra-jsr
Have seen those and quite lilke them, but do not want to spend that much until there is commitment. You can get reasonable springers in the USA for about $50-70 which includes a basic scope.

- Abraham Lincoln

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#8 Post by Dellboy »

long way to return it if it goes wrong ...
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Polchraine

#9 Post by Polchraine »

Dellboy wrote:long way to return it if it goes wrong ...
Fix it myself !

- Abraham Lincoln