Range Register

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

Re: Range Register

#11 Post by Lancs Lad »

At our range facility we maintain an attendance register which lets us know who has been in the building and doubles up as a checklist in case of an emergency. We also maintain a shooters record where details of all firearms used are recorded by each member. Obviously, if you are working in a mentoring role or as a range officer then that would be indicated within the attendance register. Both sets of records are kept for six years and I use photocopies of each to prove firearm use at renewal time. The FEO is more than happy with this and completing the details at the range takes minimal time. Members know why this has to be done and they are fully on board with it.

Regards

:flag13: LL
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#12 Post by TattooedGun »

We record it twice.

Historically, we have a sign in sheet which records the donations to the club for range time along with the firearm used on that visit, but a couple of years ago to help with the rare requests from the plod, we also ask our club members to record in a separate range register their visits and firearms used so we can get to the information without having to sieve through all of the individual range registers for a years worth of visits for a person upon request.

Ideally it would be computerised, but that comes with it's own pitfalls for a small club as ours.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

Recording when you shoot someone else’s firearms is a misinterpretation or over zealousness on behalf of whomever instigated this at your club. No doubt as a result of a bollocking from the Old Bill as records to show usage and hence, “good reason”, should have been being kept for quite some years now....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#14 Post by phaedra1106 »

We have a "register" at my indoor club where you record the details of any firearms you're using at the club and allocate them a number. Each time you sign in you just put the number of the firearm(s) your using on the sheet, job done.

That being said, when I introduced this system to my other club last year all hell broke loose!. We had members ringing Northumbria Police about it, Northumbria even rang me and asked why I was doing it, I had to point them to the section for club approval on their own website showing the requirements!. As assistant secretary only I have access to the register, no names are used and the data is on an encrypted USB drive and locked away.

We lost a few members who couldn't see the benefits of such a system, when we have 25 - 40 shooters turning up with several firearms each (not mentioning DodgyRog by name!) and only a finite amount of time recording every serial number was taking up a huge amount of range time, not to mention the safety problem of shooters trying to un-bag firearms behind the firing point to get them!. Now it's just a 15 second process to enter the members name, check their club ID and SCC card and record what number(s) they are shooting that day.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#15 Post by Dellboy »

phaedra1106 wrote:We have a "register" at my indoor club where you record the details of any firearms you're using at the club and allocate them a number. Each time you sign in you just put the number of the firearm(s) your using on the sheet, job done.

That being said, when I introduced this system to my other club last year all hell broke loose!. We had members ringing Northumbria Police about it, Northumbria even rang me and asked why I was doing it, I had to point them to the section for club approval on their own website showing the requirements!. As assistant secretary only I have access to the register, no names are used and the data is on an encrypted USB drive and locked away.

We lost a few members who couldn't see the benefits of such a system, when we have 25 - 40 shooters turning up with several firearms each (not mentioning DodgyRog by name!) and only a finite amount of time recording every serial number was taking up a huge amount of range time, not to mention the safety problem of shooters trying to un-bag firearms behind the firing point to get them!. Now it's just a 15 second process to enter the members name, check their club ID and SCC card and record what number(s) they are shooting that day.

we do the same
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

RDC

#16 Post by RDC »

Dellboy wrote:
phaedra1106 wrote:We have a "register" at my indoor club where you record the details of any firearms you're using at the club and allocate them a number. Each time you sign in you just put the number of the firearm(s) your using on the sheet, job done.

we do the same

Both club I attend do the same. I also transfer all my visits onto a personal spreadsheet.
toffe wrapper

#17 Post by toffe wrapper »

nigelc wrote:Had an email from one of the three clubs I shoot with today stating that they need to make immediate changes to the range register and anyone who fails to comply will not be able to shoot. The club states that:

"the Home Office require us to identify every rifle/pistol used on every range and by whom. The range register will be kept on the firing point and if you
shoot someone else's rifle you will need to enter their membership no".

The club proposes to keep a register/data base detailing the calibre and serial number of all members firearms. The other two clubs I shoot with do not require this, and after a quick read of the current legislation, I cannot see where this is a Home Office requirement. Anyone know what the current requirement/law is?

This is old news discussed to death. all your clubs should have been doing this for quite a while, it in the HO approval. It is not from FEO's making it up, the NRA or MOD or A N another conspiracy. You should be asking why you club was not doing it & hope they don't get a visit / audit as has recently happened.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#18 Post by Andy632 »

Yup, all the clubs in the North of Scotland are getting an (annual??) audit!
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
nigelc
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle & Pistol Club, Offas Dyke

#19 Post by nigelc »

This is old news discussed to death. all your clubs should have been doing this for quite a while, it in the HO approval. It is not from FEO's making it up, the NRA or MOD or A N another conspiracy. You should be asking why you club was not doing it & hope they don't get a visit / audit as has recently happened.[/quote]

A civil question was asked and a civil response was expected - I never said it was FEOs making it up or it was a NRA or MOD conspiracy, so not sure why you have added that in your response. Indeed, it might be old news to you, but sorry, it is not to me hence the question. Both of my other clubs have had recent renewals, and despite their registers not containing all of the "required" information, they had no issues with the FEO. Personally, I keep a log of all use of my firearms, but my FEO was not interested in seeing it during my last renewal (9mths ago).