Field firing ranges, no civilian use.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
David TS
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms, LERA, SEESA

Re: Field firing ranges, no civilian use.

#21 Post by David TS »

Thorney wrote:What distance do you shoot at MOD ranges generally?

We use Barton Road, which is 1,200 yards.

Up for replicating it?! ;)
Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

#22 Post by Thorney »

Was curious, I share the view that it does feel like the mod are trying to stop civilian use almost as a backdoor to a conspiracy to limit firearms usage
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#23 Post by Racalman »

Sim G wrote:There was a submission to the Cullen Inquiry by a General Wheeler, I think, who was head of Army training. In it he stated had it not been for the advances in pistol shooting, particularly around IPSC, UKSF would have been at a massive disadvantage with this weapon system. I have it somewhere, I’ll look it up.

Some of those “Cake Eaters” in Whitehall need to be reminded that some of the spectacular results in Iraq and Afghanistan began on the ranges with civilians....

Throbbers.
Which is precisely why Lord Cullen did not recommend a handgun ban after Dunblane.

As for civilian use of military ranges, we have no problems in the south east. Landmarc changed the system so we can no longer book a year ahead, but the ranges and targets are in good order and they are very happy to have our business.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#24 Post by snayperskaya »

Thorney wrote:Was curious, I share the view that it does feel like the mod are trying to stop civilian use almost as a backdoor to a conspiracy to limit firearms usage
If that was the case it would surely apply to ALL ranges, not just Field-Fire ranges.If it was the case that the MOD didn't want civilian clubs to use their ranges, particularly those on actual military training areas like Sennybridge/Salisbury Plain etc they would just blanket ban it and being the military I doubt they'd have to give a reason.I think I'm right in saying the the US military, as an example, don't allow the civilian use of their ranges at all.

Just looked at one clubs calendar and they have plenty of shoots booked on MOD ranges including four shoots at Sennybridge and two at Warminster between now and the end of November......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#25 Post by Sim G »

When ever it comes up, I have to say that in no way am I convinced or even entertain really, the “conspiracy” that some one in power is trying to remove firearms from private ownership.

I actually think it’s worse that that. It’s a total and complete apathy towards it that is scarier. The authorities are prepared to restrict and remove when political policy seems that such action permits or promotes that policy. In short, they don’t give a flying hillbilly fvck.

They can take all the common law, rights and privileges around personal property and toss it in the bin because it involves firearms. And no one else gives a flying either. At least if there was some effort to remove guns from us, then it would mean we account for something in the first place, but we don’t ...

They will take them soon enough, when they need to and they won’t care when the do!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#26 Post by Lever357 »

The MOD ranges currently available to Gun Clubs in the Norh East are rubbish and expensive rubbish at that. Its about time the North East Clubs started talking to each other and make a joint effort to secure a range of there own and sticking there finger up to the MOD.[/quote]

I was at Ponteland last week and noticed the new sand back stop is already beginning to look worse for wear. And 2 motnhs ago I was in number one pit on A range,my friend stood right at the right hand side and the wood on the that edge of the pit gave way and gravel poured in. Guess what - it was still like that last Saturday,been no attempt to repair it.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#27 Post by Lancs Lad »

As an example of what can be done in terms of civilian ranges, take a look at Diggle's website.

Competitions galore, plenty of different shooting disciplines, shooting out to 1000 yards, electronic targets on some ranges, covered firing points on some ranges, a very well - stocked shop on site AND ... no MOD involvement!

Shooters Nirvana? Well ... not quite, but it is very good.

:flag13: LL