Gardeners guns

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Gardeners guns

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Don't know if this has been discussed before but has anyone visited Gardeners guns range. I have been invited to visit I believe the ranges go out to two miles. Any one been there.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

Re: Gardeners guns

#2 Post by phaedra1106 »

Yes, three of us from my club did a site visit just over 2 years ago (before the hut on the range etc. was built), £50 each to shoot on the (then) 1 mile range. Middle of nowhere in one of the wettest places in the UK (Eskdalemuir)!!.

Since then I believe it's been offered at £40 to Pigeon Watch members and others or with with a minimum cost of £800 to hire the range.

Mark is a very nice chap, give him a ring and see what's on offer.

Or alternatively just pop along with a local club to Catterick or Ponteland to get it sighted in etc..
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#3 Post by meles meles »

We shoot there regularly. It's a great range, targets out to 2 miles, and Marc always lays on blazing sun for us when we go. Targets are steel plates that begin at 100 yards and go out in increments of 100 yards out to 1,000, then at greater increments all the way out to the 2 mile mark. You can shoot prone from a firing point in front of a club house and, if it rains when you go, there are 6 covered firing points built onto the front of the clubhouse. Tea and biscuits are available. Marc and his staff are friendly and very helpful, always willing to spot for you through a pair of enormous telescopes and their advice and firing corrections are spot on.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
RDC

#4 Post by RDC »

Is it basically a pay and play range? If so, how much is the fee? I've heard several costs, but they vary wildly!
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

No, it's not a "pay and spray" range. We're a member there and thus pay a reduced fee for range use. Membership is £100 per annum. Clubs can also hire the range for use at a day rate. Best thing to do is contact Marc directly and get the latest info direct from him.

https://www.gardnersguns.co.uk/contact
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

Its approx £800 a day to hire the range for club use if you are not a member.
BamBam

#7 Post by BamBam »

As a member do you get invited to range days or just book and turn up on days of your choosing?
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

BamBam wrote:As a member do you get invited to range days or just book and turn up on days of your choosing?
Sorry I dont know I am not a member.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#9 Post by Lever357 »

Our club recently booked it for a day and there was mixed feedback - just because the targets are steel plates. If you miss, there is no indication of where your shot went so some felt it was partly a waste of time and ammunition. On the other hand, it is somewhere different to shoot and given MoD are looking like they don't want public on military ranges, it may be the future.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

I am shocked at some of the feedback I have had from club members regarding booking this range for a club Shoot.
One guy, for instance, thinks that the long-distance shooters are catered for by the Clubs two weekends a year trips to Bisley and the Club should not support it.
I'm speechless I can not believe some of the replies I have received no wonder shooting is dying.
The club has over 140 members owns its own indoor range premises has an outdoor range a clay range no debt and over £40,000 in the bank. It beggars belief. It makes me more determined than ever to make this shoot happen.
wallhead